720p or 1080p/i video output without the waste?

flarefox

Can someone tell me what to set so that so many of the pixels aren't wasted off screen when I set my screen to 720p or 1080p? When I turn on my xbox/xbox360 and it is in hidef mode, nothing is put off screen. Even when I put my windows machine in 720p mode nothing is off screen. It's only linux that I have this problem. I've searched, but so far I have found one topic on another forum (not mandriva) that says to just suck it up and live with about 100 pixels being wasted. That's an entire logo! A good portion of the stuff on screen is gone with that! No volume controls or anything! Is there a way to just adjust the x server to put out at 720p but squeeze the image so that those 100 pixels can be off screen without messing with the image? What about a way to simply not have the problem in the first place?

Any info is appreciated!

Something else that might be important. I've got mandriva 07 configured and everything. I thought it might be changed in this version, but oh well. It's connected to a projector that supports all HD resolutions and mandriva only projects at 1024x768 even though that isn't really supported by the projector and I have to tell all the programs manually to account for 16:9 monitor aspect.

Edited by flarefox