No video in .wmv files

oldnoob

When I try to play .wmv files I get sound but no video. I dont know whats wrong as these files used to work e.g. files I have played in the past wont work now.This happens in Kaffeine, other file formats work it just seems to be .wmv files that wont work.

When I try to play the files in MPlayer I dont get anything just an error: opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Mdk 2006

Any help always appreciated

I think you need to install a package called win32-codecs, I have this on my system. You'll have to go to the easyurpmi page and set up your sources for main/contrib/updates but in particular plf-free/plf-nonfree if you don't already have them.

The codecs are in here, and can be installed with:

urpmi win32-codecs

and that should do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...

Should normally play fine. In Mandriva 2006, I just did:

urpmi xine-win32

which took care of the rest including installing the win32-codecs and they played back fine. Maybe try applying updates to the system.

I know with Mandriva 2007, from default install, video doesn't play, but as soon as you apply all updates to the system, they play fine.

Excuse me, I sent my previous post too fast, and with too few information.

I was trying to see the films with KMPlayer, as it is installed, without changing the configuration.

I have installed win32-codecs and applied all updates to the system, but there were no images.

The initial configuration uses Xine as the backend. With this configuration there are no images. But after changing the back-end to MPlayer the KMPlayer works nicely. :D