Missing RAM?

Guest campers

Guest campers

I'm trying to run Mandriva 07 Powepack Gold on my aging Inspiron 2600 1.2Ghz Celeron, 512Mb laptop.

Bios/setup (and Windows) will recognise all my RAM (2x256); but Mandriva (Hardware Configuration -> Memory) only uses one of the slots.

Net effect is that my cursor movement is choppy/slow/sluggish/nonresponsive and just too poor to use at all. It also sounds like the processor is working overtime and just hanging. 3D, translucency, and hardware acceleration are all off.

Total noob here guys.... Help appreciated !

Edited by campers

Welcome to the board!

could you post the output of the following command:

free -m

you'll need to do this from a terminal - most likely you will want to use the program called Konsole or gnome-terminal/terminal, depending if you are using KDE or GNOME.

Another time, I thought I had bad ram with memtest, when my BIOS was inconfigured correctly.

Choosing "Load Optimised Settings" in the BIOS fixed the problem, and memtest worked fine after that. Of course, this is normally on self-built desktops, and doesn't usually appear on branded kit.