Microsoft and Novell sign a Linux deal

arctic

Novell Microsoft Collaborate FAQ

The only way to gain a reasonable ammount of market share from Microsoft would be to work with them not by trying to work against them. On the whole it's a smart move.

Tell it to Netscape. Or the antivirus\security software writers. If it depends on MS they would be out of the league after Vista comes out. For me it looks like Novell is paying royalty to MS for nothing. Oh yes for not suing them, but Novell is one of the companies which can hold on in a lawsuit going on for years. Porting the MS xml based document format to OOo. Big deal, if it's that open as MS says so than Sun would have done it. Not to mention that how it will affect accepting ODF now. How is this deal even remotely smart?

Edited by dexter11

I'm absolutely disgusted!

Do you want our Open Source work to benefit the richest man in the world?

Tough they can't patent the written alphabet! I'm pretty sure they would try if they could.

My goodness, what would Richard Stallmann think about this?

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

You don't make a financial commitment with your competition in a free market enterprise system unless there's something in it for you. That's economics 101. Oh... that's right, this is MS we're talking about. I'd like to be wrong, but the MS spin machine and legal dept. are legendary for manipulating and massaging the patent office, the D. O. J. and many of the world's PC users for the past 15 years. I wonder what special powers Novell thinks it has that will keep them from winding up as a brown smear in the MS underpants.

This is also military tactics 101 - hold your friends close and your enemies closer.. Even if MS DOESN'T sue Novell or any other linux enterprise, they have the unethical and financial wherewithal to gut any serious market (enterprise) venture of GNU/linux vis a vis perception. All it takes is one well placed "threat" of suit or a manufactured publicity campaign and it's back to square one for opensource. They CAN'T crush opensource, but they can clamp a really , REALLY, REALLY BIG ball and chain on it.

Now.....while they're doing all of this in the good ole U S of A, why not take a little trip overseas for some fun and profit and cloak yourself in the new hitech "value added" Linux from MS/Novell? The emerging software market in India and China are going to make someone vomit fountains of cash. That someone probably could not go into these countries wearing the mask of MS, but if they were wearing an OpenSuse mask, well... that would be different. A paltry 3 million dollars could buy a foreign ad campain portraying MS as the repentant bad boy, who has seen the light in opensource and is going to be the third world's technology saviour for the 21st century. In a related story, I wonder if plunking down a bunch of "free" hospitals and schools will help the Indians ,Chinese, and Russians decide which software to buy?

cynical I know ... but it's a great sounding story. ;)

i seem to remember back in the cobwebs of my mind (around the early 80's) microsoft was working very closely with ibm (who at the time were the bigger company) and what happened?

microsoft screwed ibm to the wall !!

ibm has never forgotton that experience, and it looks like novell / suse is going down that same path, don't they know their industry history!!

good bye novell / suse it was nice knowing you for a while !

it may take months or it may take years, but just wait and see, microsoft will break you both !

reb

You don't make a financial commitment with your competition in a free market enterprise system unless there's something in it for you. That's economics 101. Oh... that's right, this is MS we're talking about. I'd like to be wrong, but the MS spin machine and legal dept. are legendary for manipulating and massaging the patent office, the D. O. J. and many of the world's PC users for the past 15 years. I wonder what special powers Novell thinks it has that will keep them from winding up as a brown smear in the MS underpants.

No comment necassary....

This is also military tactics 101 - hold your friends close and your enemies closer.. Even if MS DOESN'T sue Novell or any other linux enterprise, they have the unethical and financial wherewithal to gut any serious market (enterprise) venture of GNU/linux vis a vis perception. All it takes is one well placed "threat" of suit or a manufactured publicity campaign and it's back to square one for opensource. They CAN'T crush opensource, but they can clamp a really , REALLY, REALLY BIG ball and chain on it.

Yes, yes, yes.....

This is exactly the point .... MS have never been able to crush linux because MS only knows one way to play the game. That is buy them out or financially ruin them....if they can't do that see reb2's comment ..

MS couldn't screw IBM to the wall, couldn't buy them out... and couldn't financially ruin them and IBM can afford to play the MS court circuit game of financially breaking a company by taking them to court over something they know they would lose but simply dragging it out so long it financially cripples the company.

So what happened.... well MS more or less ignores IBM...MS tried a few patent strikes and IBM just played them at their own game.... At the end of the day MS has invented .....( :tm: ) pretty much nothing ever. Everything has been stolen/bought or aquired ... starting with DOS ...MS don't have a single invention ever... just for fun take something you think is MS and trace it back... I can't think of a single thing even the crappiest stuff like LANMAN ... and the biggest laugh of all is Windows :tm: ... yeah sure I was using DecWindows when DOS was a baby...

IBM on the other hand has thousands (actually hundreds of thousands) of original patents ...by origial I mean conceived and developed from scratch...

In 2005, IBM received 2,974 U.S. patents from the USPTO. This is the thirteenth consecutive year that IBM has received more US patents than any other company in the world. In addition to delivering these innovations through its products and services, IBM maintains an active patent and technology licensing program.

So IBM is immune ... Microsoft violates tens of thousands of IBM patents ... so it can't be bought, blackmailed or bribed.

Novell on the other hand ....

Well take netware.... originally based on netbuei based on netbios... all developed by a third company and guess who pressured that company into selling its patents...

Now.....while they're doing all of this in the good ole U S of A, why not take a little trip overseas for some fun and profit and cloak yourself in the new hitech "value added" Linux from MS/Novell? The emerging software market in India and China are going to make someone vomit fountains of cash. That someone probably could not go into these countries wearing the mask of MS, but if they were wearing an OpenSuse mask, well... that would be different. A paltry 3 million dollars could buy a foreign ad campain portraying MS as the repentant bad boy, who has seen the light in opensource and is going to be the third world's technology saviour for the 21st century. In a related story, I wonder if plunking down a bunch of "free" hospitals and schools will help the Indians ,Chinese, and Russians decide which software to buy?

cynical I know ... but it's a great sounding story. ;)

Yep 3 Million on ads and 3 billion on bribes.... and if they do it right they can probably get a tax rebate on the bribes... and then get a contribution from the state dept for the money they just claimed back as a expense... and all in the name of Free competition?

• 4 weeks later...