Connecting wirelessly

arch38

Hi i have finally got connected to mandriva through my dlink-g624t wireless router, it is currently connected by an ethernet cable.

What my question is, is how do i connect it wirelessly, i connect in windows wirelessly but i haven`t got a clue how to do it in mandriva.

If i plug in the dongle it doesnt seem to recognise it?

If anyone can guide me through it i would be very grateful.

p.s if i have to type anything in a console will they please type out what i have to type as im a complete newby to linux.

thank you very much

Artchie

The first step would be to identify what wireless adapter you're using, and what chipset it has. Having the make/model of it would be a great place to help us help you.

The only reason I say that is because it varies greatly from model to model, even from the same manufacturer. Some require extra software to be installed, others are fairly easy to set up.

OK, first do this:

su (enter root password when prompted)
lspci -n

Then post the results here, we can then look at the pci-id from these results, and tell you the best driver to use with your card and ndiswrapper. We need all results, so don't selectively copy bits of info, give all the comes back from the command.

to further explain, you need to do the commands mentioned in a terminal, if you are in KDE the program you will be looking for is konsole - in GNOME it's just called terminal. You'll get a prompt, it will be reminiscent of DOS - if you've ever used that.