User control of network settings

diehl

I run Mandriva 2007 on a Sony GRV550 laptop. It would really be nice to be able to change network settings without having to enter the root passwork one or more times.

On the KDE panel there is a nice network applet which shows if the network is connected, and which allows one to change network settings. The problem with this tool is that for most operations you have to enter the root password (once per each specific task, even if you click remember password). I find it easier to just su to root and run mcc/drakconf. This way I only have to enter the root password one time.

Is there any way to configure the network applet to allow any ordinary user to change network settings without having to invoke the root password? I don't think enabling sudo for the network commands will help because the network applet does not invoke the network commands with sudo (unless this can be configured). I also thought of making a "network" group and changing the group ownership of the required network commands, and assigning the user to this group. I'm not sure if this would work.

At any rate it is rather stupid that laptop users seemingly must log in as root to change network settings. This is very inconvenient.

network applet to allow any ordinary user to change network settings without having to invoke the root password?
Not really. You will always have to enter the root password at least once. It sucks, but it's secure :)

However, there used to be a program by which you only had to enter the root password once per session (as in, desktop session, not program session) but I'm not sure if Mandriva still provides that functionality...I would check for "keyring" or similar options in MCC.

When you configure network connections through MCC or Configure Your Computer, there is an option near the end that says "Do you want users to be able to start this connection" or something like that. You have to enable it, and I think that will solve your problem. It comes after configuring static/dhcp options, etc, for a specific interface.