Mandriva 2007: Back in the race

spinynorman

Beginning with an easy-to-use installer and booting into a well-thought-out desktop, Mandriva 2007 provides an environment that is aesthetically consistent and makes new users feel at home. Where Mandriva 2006 failed to provide an appropriate level of support for more advanced users, Mandriva 2007 includes prominently displayed tools for configuration from the desktop. Although these tools are marred by sluggish package management and an unhelpful security rating system, as well as instability on some machines, overall Mandriva 2007 re-establishes the distribution as one of the most advanced desktop experiences in GNU/Linux.

Full review at www.linux.com.

Is nice reading the comments :P

Despite my recent niggles, I'll still use Mandriva and still have on the majority of my systems. There are only one or two which I have Fedora on.

Its pretty accurate right down to the one glaring oversight ... he already stated his reasons for quiting as Mandrake10 not installing after he paid up....

It seems rather shortsighted to think that 2007 working means 2008 will work.... on_his_machine ...because this is the typical mandr* problem which siphons off experienced mandr*vers to slower moving but more relaible distro's in terms of hardware support....

I really can't think of any single thing with Mandriva that pisses people more.... and Im not talking about new leading edge hardware Im talking about established mature chipsets.

People come over from windows and .. mostly it either works or it doesn't..(and largely when it fails its the actual installer so these people never even see what they are missing).. said n00b then either just goes back to Windows or tries another distro ....

However lets say 80% make it through....they then actively buy supported devices they know work under Mandr* version X... and then its release time and suddenly the whole thing stops working.. you can't install or the devices you bought no longer work....