Streaming WMA streams

Guest Dietrich

Guest Dietrich

I use orb to stream my music from my desktop to my laptop. However, since i switched my laptop to linux, i have been unable to stream my music from orb. I have switched to .ram and real audio format, and it wont play, saying invalid stream. Research shows that orb is encoding .wma into the ram stream, thus going back to the original problem of wma not playing in linux.

All the file on the desktop are in mp3 format, and I recently switched orb to send files using a .pls extension, hoping xmms or audacious or whatever would play it. It loads, starts the stream, but the stream is choppy and is impossible to listen to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Dietrich
Have you installed the win32 codecs? I'm guesiing you have install real audio, so those should play, but if it's telling you it's a .wma format you'll need those codecs. Have you setup urpmi?

Grendal;

Yes, I have installed all the codecs for xmms and xine and Mplayer (i cannot find them for real). In Real player it starts, but says its not a valid stream and wont play at all. in xxms and xine and mplayer, it plays, but its jarbled and you cant hear more than a garbled sound.

Alternativly, the problem MAY be on the windows machine with the way the streams are streamed. I say this because I can play shoutcast streams and other streams on the net without a problem. Its just in ORB streams that I have a problem. In ORB, i can set it to stream as .RAM, .ASF., .PLS., or some weird format called 3GP. so whichever is easiest to setup in linux is what I want...as I need to be able to access my music remotely.

Thanks.