3d desktop

Jas

so i go to mcc > hardware > 3d desktop and enable, asks me to logout, fine, i logout, first time i had no idea i had to change the session to "drak3d" so im logging into gnome, thinking wtf. ok second time, i change the session to drak3d, log in, asks me for root password, then the config tool thing comes up again, i click ok, and then it asks me to logout and do ctrl+alt+backspace to restart X i guess. ok so i do that, make drak3d the session, and log in, and it just repeats itself! FFS, and this time, after saying "you need to log out and press ctrl+alt+backspace" it just left me hanging at the mandriva screen, with a cursor, and thats it.

its not working, i can shake windows around in kde i guess... but i wanna use gnome, i have no idea what to do

* oh, and i dont even have the option to select AIGLX, XGL is the one selected by default and thats the only one available... i have a nVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 64mb drivers were installed upon install (im using powerpack)

Edited by Jas

Hi

I ve got an Nvidia as well and the 3d desktop does not work despite a lot of patience. I have tried it on other machines, it seems that it works only with ati GFX cards and that we are waiting for the serie 9xxx drivers from nvidia to solve this problem.

Stef

hmm... but its working with kde, why wont it work with gnome?

Good question ....

I'm using beryl and though I can't say its without problems I think its easier than XGL ...

specifically you can startup in normal Gnome with metacity and then activate emerald .... it might still crash.. go wonky ?? but the error messages are a bit more useful IMHO... and it can fall back onto the defined WM ... so you can edit a couple of files and try again....

hmm... but its working with kde, why wont it work with gnome?

Good question ....

I'm using beryl and though I can't say its without problems I think its easier than XGL ...

specifically you can startup in normal Gnome with metacity and then activate emerald .... it might still crash.. go wonky ?? but the error messages are a bit more useful IMHO... and it can fall back onto the defined WM ... so you can edit a couple of files and try again....

Yeah, the only way I was able to get everything to work was to install the beta drivers from NVIDIA and then install the latest version of beryl. Start beryl at every login with beryl-manager and it works wonderfully. Lets you change themes on the fly and edit the plugins whenever. Also helps to reload the window manager if it ever goes crazy. I couldn't get it to work very well with XGL. I had to use Compiz and that never worked. I had to uninstall xorg-xgl server extensions and everything drak3d and compiz related and do it myself. There's a lot of stuff you have to add to your xorg.conf file as well. Here's a tutorial on how to install it exactly like that:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Mandriva

It works wonderfully. I haven't had any major problems with it yet, either.

Hi,

After reading all that I decided that I could not bear having a decent video-card and not have the possibilty to enjoy a 3d-Desktop.

So I did as follow :

-Full install of 2007 from "free" version dvd and update via anorien's ftp server. I installed both KDE and Gnome.

-Install NVIDIA drivers from PLF.

-At the end of install of 3d desktop I am invited to logoff so I did. Back to the black screen at the command line and I typed (I was by default logged into root) startx. Then KDE starts with full 3d desktop and it works a treat.

This is the only way I manage to have the 3d desktop working. If I exit and do startx under user I get the hanging mandriva icon for ever.

If I reboot and start as kde same.

If I start gnome as user same.

It does not make any sense to me but makes me think that it might all be due to a permission problem? I just hope someone will read this and say "Eureka" this is a simple job...

In the meantime I ll carry-on experimenting...

Stef :wall:

Hi,

After reading all that I decided that I could not bear having a decent video-card and not have the possibilty to enjoy a 3d-Desktop.

So I did as follow :

-Full install of 2007 from "free" version dvd and update via anorien's ftp server. I installed both KDE and Gnome.

-Install NVIDIA drivers from PLF.

-At the end of install of 3d desktop I am invited to logoff so I did. Back to the black screen at the command line and I typed (I was by default logged into root) startx. Then KDE starts with full 3d desktop and it works a treat.

This is the only way I manage to have the 3d desktop working. If I exit and do startx under user I get the hanging mandriva icon for ever.

If I reboot and start as kde same.

If I start gnome as user same.

It does not make any sense to me but makes me think that it might all be due to a permission problem? I just hope someone will read this and say "Eureka" this is a simple job...

In the meantime I ll carry-on experimenting...

Stef :wall:

Yes, it's a known problem. When running XGL and Compiz, Compiz will rarely work as a normal user from KDM. If you want it to work, you have to install the beta drivers, uninstall xgl, compiz, and drak3d, and install beryl and beryl-manager. You'll get exactly the same thing that you get with drak3d, only you'll also be able to run 3d apps and games. As it is, compiz + games = crash almost every time. I got it to run a game once with compiz... The official forums were filled with the same thing you described the day after 07's launch.

Hope that helps. :)

It works for me, either under Gnome or KDE... but I'm using the 9XXX series beta driver, and ArchLinux, not Mandriva.

XGL effects are a nice toy for the first couple of days or so, but in the end they get disabled- they are just annoying for aged, conservative users like myself.

Edited by scarecrow

It works for me, either under Gnome or KDE... but I'm using the 9XXX series beta driver, and ArchLinux, not Mandriva.

XGL effects are a nice toy for the first couple of days or so, but in the end they get disabled- they are just annoying for aged, conservative users like myself.

I agree, it's just that most windows users have never seen anything like that and it is a good thing to recruit! We only have a few months or so before proper release of vista, then we will have lost this advantage on windoze.

Stef