cpu speed switching wonky [solved]

holr

Hi,

I am running mandriva one 2007 kde on a thinkpad t43p laptop. When i am running from the battery i have klaptop set to run the computer in a low-speed 800mhz mode, which it does (as confirmed by cpuinfo from kde-apps.org). However, when I have the laptop plugged into the power, again, trying powersave mode, it jumps up to 1.6ghz. (the processor is a 2.13 centrino / pentium M by the way). Is there someway of getting the laptop to run slower when in powered mode - as it tends to get quite warm when its unnecessarily running fast!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

whats weird, is when i unplug the laptop from the mains, it goes down th 800mhz, when i plug the power in, it goes to a minimum of 1.6gig, with periodic chanages up to 2.1gig (it automatically changes the cpu governor from ondemand to performance from time to time!)

i have a similar problem with klaptop on a similar (but slower) machine. by problem i mean that klaptop changes the profile from what i've set manually. but i really don't care about power when i'm plugged up. it's no different than a desktop then.

i tried playing around with /etc/cpufreqd.conf, and saw the default for the "ac profile" w as max performance. I changed it to ondemand, rebooted, and it is working fine now (800mhz most of the time, spikes to 2.1 wh en it needs to be!). Im not sure if i can change the values with klaptop properly yet, but it works the way i want it now, so time to leave well alone! Thanks for your help!

*update*

Seems like it was still doing funny things, I couldnt figure out why. I actually deleted (rather renamed) the original /etc/cpufreq.conf and this seemed to sort it out properly. I havent had any issues for over a week and klaptop is switching cpu frequencys nicely now.

Edited by holr