Mandriva 2007 problem? [solved]

hirohitosan

Before I make a mistake I want to ask your opinion. I want to remove from my computer SANE. I go to MCC UnInstall Software packages and chose to remove SANE. A pop up window ask me:

Because of their dependencies, the following package(s) also need to be removed:

drakconf-10.4.13-1mdv2007.0
drakfirsttime-1.8-1mdv2007.0
harddrake-ui-10.4.81-1mdv2007.0
hwdb-clients-0.18-1mdk
kdegraphics-kooka-3.5.4-7mdv2007.0
mdkonline-2.4-1mdv2007.0

some of these packages are not important for my computer?

for example

drakconf-10.4.13-1mdv2007.0

harddrake-ui-10.4.81-1mdv2007.0

I can remove it without any problem???

however you can look into urpme --nodeps command line

thanks,

This will be just for uninstall and not for installing?

I mean when I install some new software I want to know what dependencies is needed.

however you can look into urpme --nodeps command line

thanks,

This will be just for uninstall and not for installing?

I mean when I install some new software I want to know what dependencies is needed.

I tried

#urpme --nodeps
Unknown option: nodeps

:unsure:

Why bother removing SANE? Even if you'll never use it, it doesn't take up that much space.

yes. you're right, but this post was because in the past when I removed some packages I didn't care too much about what dependencies will remove and I think that I removed some useful things. I think this is not a good idea in Md2007 to remove dependencies.

When you decide to uninstall a programme and you find it wants to also uninstall a number of other programmes it is dependant on, it is safer and more practical to leave things as they are and just not use the programme you no longer need. If the unwanted programme takes up a huge amount of space and you want to recover that space then you will need to go to a console and do a command line uninstall and specifying a no dependencys uninstall. If you are unfamilar with the command line ten you could screw up your system.

I notice from your earlier posts in other threads that you are new to Mandriva but already you are wanting to chop up your system like you would in Windows. Not a good idea.

I would like to suggest you wait until you have acquired more experience with Mandriva first.

What is that old expression ???..........."Learn to walk first before rrrrrruuuuuuuunnnnnnniiiiinnnnngggg."

Besides, Sane is one of the great packages associated with detecting, setting up and using Scanners.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn