Is Firefox/Google Spying on Your News Feeds?

arctic

"I've been testing out the latest release candidate for Firefox 2.0 (which has since been officially released). One of the new features in Firefox 2.0 is "Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds", which allows users to (according to the release notes):

...decide how to handle Web feeds, either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

The nice thing about this feature is the ability to preview feeds. When the user clicks on an RSS or Atom link, Firefox renders the feed in a human-readable format, rather than simply displaying the raw XML as it had in the past*. At the top of the feed page, the user has the choice of subscribing to the feed through different services, as described in the above quote. This is where our story gets interesting... "

Read more here.

Source: http://www.heise.de

I think "despise" is a bit strong in this case.

To me he didn't come across as wacko paranoid, but rather just curious - why is it doing that and what's the advantage of doing it that way? He was obviously phrasing things in a careful way cos he knew he'd be accused of being paranoid:

let me stress that I'm not trying to sound any conspiracy theories here
There might well be nothing in it but I thought it was an interesting read.