Mandriva 2007 Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How is it?

• Great
    • Good
    • it's ok at best
    • Bad
    • Ugly

Managed to fix one of my long term problems with 2007 so it's getting a little better for me :P
I'm starting to lean in the opposite direction. I gave it "good" because most things are working fine, but since then I've had a few more hard system freezes (where the only thing that responds is the power button) and they're getting tiring. Latest ones occurred just by opening Firefox or clicking a link in Firefox. I even tried a live 2007 CD with gnome and that does it too. But I can't provoke the same thing in either Knoppix 5 or Ubuntu 6.10.

Anyway, don't want to drag this off-topic, that's a separate thread, but I just wanted to point out that my "good" rating might slip if this keeps up.

I gave it an "ok at best".

I thought it was unforgivable for Mandriva to include a development version of gnumeric. Some of the functions that I use didn't work with the included version, and there is no newer version yet available via urpmi.

I also had a problem with the taskbar, which I had set up to disappear when the cursor moved off of it and to reappear when the cursor was brought to the bottom of the screen.

Well, it doesn't disappear unless I move the cursor off the screen to the left, right or top edges. Really annoying. I actually had to change the way I used it so that it was always there, costing me 3/4 inch screen real estate.

Also, my webcams which used spca5xx drivers (open source) don't work any more. Guess this isn't mandriva's problem but it made made have to back off and go back to 2006.

I now have 2006 and 2007 set up as dual boot, but I actually spend all of my time in 2006.