SWAT 401 Bad authorization

lorisarvendu

Hi all

New to the forum. Please excuse me if this has been covered before, I've done a search but couldn't find anything.

Due to a HDD crash I've recently reinstalled my box to Mandriva 2007, totally from scratch. Previously I ran 2006 for about the last year, and 9.2 before that.

I use the box as a file server for a home Windows LAN, so the first thing I always get up and running is Samba, and I usually configure it through SWAT. This time I can't log into SWAT.

I didn't set up the services myself, but let the box set everything up during installation as usual. SWAT runs fine from localhost:901 or from webmin but does not allow me to get past the logon screen.

Only two usernames exist on the box (root and "dave") but SWAT says both are incorrect. Both these usernames have samba passwords (same as the linux ones). Root doesn't exist as a local user on the Windows workstations, but Dave does, and Dave is connecting fine to the samba shares on the box. Luckily the Samba module in webmin is still working, and I know enough about command line editing to get an smb.conf file configured! :)

Can anyone give me any clues as to why I can't logon with root, or how I can log on with "dave" instead?

If it helps, below is the contents of /etc/xinetd.d/swat:

# default: off

# description: SWAT is the Samba Web Admin Tool. Use swat \

# to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \

# connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.

service swat

{

disable = no

port = 901

socket_type = stream

wait = no

only_from = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.5

user = root

server = /usr/sbin/swat

log_on_failure += USERID

}

cheers

Dave

root should work fine, I've used swat on my system no problems with this. Did you create a password for root during the install? If not, maybe this is the problem.

Or perhaps the security level of your system, what is it set to? The default is high. I usually set to standard.

Hi there

No, I have a root password. Root also has a samba password (using smbpasswd -a, natch), as does the user dave. I've had this server through many incarnations of Mandrake, for about the last 3 years, and since it is an integral part of my LAN it would be practically impossible for me to do anything without access to root.

I also set security to standard and bolt things down tight using shorewall.

This has never happened to me before, but a quick google on "401 Bad Authorization" shows that other people have been having this problem for at least the last 3 years. Unfortunately none of this hits has provided an answer. Changing root password doesn't do it either.

EDIT - nor does removing and reinstalling SWAT. I suspect it's some kind of authorisation error. Since my workstations are Windoze XP, I've got encrypt passwords = yes in smb.conf. Perhaps SWAT is having problems with this.