Another Problem Installing Firefox 2

Guest Grymyrk

Guest Grymyrk

I downloaded firefox 2 from the website and extract it to a folder.

When I run ./firefox. Yes the window does open and says its been installed, I can open another window from the shortcut and it will be version 2 however when I cose firefox completely and open it again its back version 1.5. Does the same thing in SU mode.

Am I doing something wrong? (I am a noob)

Thanks in advance.

Isn't firefox pretty much embedded into the Mandriva framework (?) now so that uninstalling the mozilla-firefox rpm is going to require that all sorts of stuff that are dependent upon it be uninstalled too?

I had this issue with MDV 2005 LE. The problem comes in that when firefox updates to newer versions, mandriva has to backport the updates to the old naming convention (in 2005LE when firefox 1.5 came out, the updated mandriva package still had to be named with the 1.0 tag) to maintain dependencies. This becomes a problem when trying to update extensions and themes that insist they only work with the newer version of firefox.

You can have both versions of firefox installed.

What folder did you extract firefox 2.0 to? You can create a shortcut in your menu and/or your desktop that points specifically to the firefox executable in that folder.

Alternatively, as superuser you can change the symlink for firefox in /usr/bin to point to the new firefox executable (this will allow other programs that try and open hyperlinks to open firefox 2.0 instead).

Regards,

Crispus

now so that uninstalling the mozilla-firefox rpm is going to require that all sorts of stuff that are dependent upon it be uninstalled too?

not if you use command line like

urpme --nodeps firefox_packagename

OK. I'm a noob so don't crucify me but I have to ask.

Trying to install FF 2.0 in 2007 and no go at all.

If I do the urpme to uninstall 1.5 what exactly does this mean-urpme --nodeps firefox_packagename?

Packagename what is that? Type in packagename or is there something I should know specifically to type?

Like 1.5.07? Or the such?

Well presumably this has nothing to do with the fact that 1.5 is there?

Do not know for sure

you can find out the name of the package that contains firefox

rpmquery firefox

rpmquery mozilla-firefox

or use drakconf and follow the remove rpm icon (just to find the name of the package)

rpme allows to remove a given package

--nodeps so that package that are dependent on fifrox stay in place

Edited by emmanuel_uk

You can have both versions installed and existing at the same time, and run Firefox 2 no problems. I'm wondering how you are doing the install?

Explain how you are trying to install Firefox 2 and where you have installed it to?

You can have both versions installed and existing at the same time, and run Firefox 2 no problems. I'm wondering how you are doing the install?

Explain how you are trying to install Firefox 2 and where you have installed it to?

I concur, I can run either, at will. The dumped the firefox 2 download in /usr/local/bin/firefox2 and run it with a menu item that calls /usr/local/bin/firefox2/firefox %u

That's all you need.

Well presumably this has nothing to do with the fact that 1.5 is there?

Do not know for sure

you can find out the name of the package that contains firefox

rpmquery firefox

rpmquery mozilla-firefox

or use drakconf and follow the remove rpm icon (just to find the name of the package)

rpme allows to remove a given package

--nodeps so that package that are dependent on fifrox stay in place

Here is what I get.

Unknown option: nodeps I get this with trying the urpme --nodeps command.

no package named /home/**********/Desktop/firefox I get this using software installer program after extracting and the folder

is on desktop.

ok just to add a little confusion ... this is what I did:

1st I unpacked the firefox 2 in my /home/user folder so that I have a subfolder called firefox.

2nd Backed up my /home/user/.mozilla/firefox folder (you never know!)

3rd copied all the contents from the firefox 2 folder to the profile folder within my /home/user/.mozilla/firefox folder.

4th Ran ./firefox-bin from the /home/user/.mozilla/firefox (which is not firefox 2) for test purposes, which all worked fine.

5th create symlinks for various plugins (take alook at

about:plugins

for your installed plugins) as well copying flash 9 beta plugin to the plugin folder

6th Created short-cuts on my task bar

Then when firefox starts its version 2, it has all my bookmarks intacted, it has all my extensions & themes working..

Long way round & I would luv to hear of another way which is a lot more cleaner :) ..

Edited by jaraeez

ok just to add a little confusion ... this is what I did:

1st I unpacked the firefox 2 in my /home/user folder so that I have a subfolder called firefox.

2nd Backed up my /home/user/.mozilla/firefox folder (you never know!)

3rd copied all the contents from the firefox 2 folder to the profile folder within my /home/user/.mozilla/firefox folder.

4th Ran ./firefox-bin from the /home/user/.mozilla/firefox (which is not firefox 2) for test purposes, which all worked fine.

5th create symlinks for various plugins (take alook at

about:plugins

for your installed plugins) as well copying flash 9 beta plugin to the plugin folder

6th Created short-cuts on my task bar

Then when firefox starts its version 2, it has all my bookmarks intacted, it has all my extensions & themes working..

Long way round & I would luv to hear of another way which is a lot more cleaner :) ..

There's no need to put all the binaries etc in your user home, in fact it's wrong because other users will not be able to use it unless you grant them rights to your home.

If you had put the contents of the firefox 2 download somewhere common, like /usr/local and and grant world read, then everyone can run it.

When you, or any user, runs it, it will find your setup in your home and use it, so you will still retain all your setup.

Sure, but seeing as i'm the only user on this PC i preferred this way, but yes the other way is to place the binaries into the firefox folder at /usr. So is it wrong? not really IMO

Well OK, but let me throw this one in as well. If you want to reinstall a different version, or even, a different distribution, you can backup your home directories and copy them over, and retain most settings (not just for firefox), but when you make your home huge but filling it full of binaries, it becomes harder to do this