aiglx/beryl FPS

jlc

By no means is this an extreme test, I just wanted to see the difference and see what TripleBuffer would do.

No Bling.

glxgers

63713 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12742.447 FPS
64948 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12989.576 FPS

aiglx

24414 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4882.762 FPS
24514 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4902.777 FPS
24368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4871.873 FPS

aiglx + TripleBuffer

25933 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5185.283 FPS
26000 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5199.946 FPS
26102 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5220.240 FPS

beryl-manager + bery

22024 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4404.672 FPS
22165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4432.927 FPS
22077 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4415.327 FPS

beryl-manager + beryl + TripleBuffer

25139 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5027.696 FPS
23101 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4620.085 FPS
24231 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4846.063 FPS
24520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4903.939 FPS

So TrippleBuffer certianly helps a bit and as you can see from not using bling, my FPS are about 2-3x higher......

All were done the exact same way, 3 terms open and firefox.

For those that really care about to much info

amd64 +3200

1GB 3200 RAM

NV 6800GT 256MB

FC6 @amd64

edit: Forgot you might want this, use it at your own caution...... 8)

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver	  "nvidia"
	Option	  "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
	Option	  "TripleBuffer" "true"
EndSection

Edited by jlc

The effects offered with AIGLX/beryl are truly stunning. Unfortunately, the NVIDIA 1.0-9626 driver keeps me from using it due to the "Black Windows Bug."

Basically, when I have more than one window open at a time, they start to go completely black on me. It has to due with the way the nvidia driver handles texture memory (or the lack of it as the case may be.) Once they fix that, though ....

The effects offered with AIGLX/beryl are truly stunning. Unfortunately, the NVIDIA 1.0-9626 driver keeps me from using it due to the "Black Windows Bug."

Basically, when I have more than one window open at a time, they start to go completely black on me. It has to due with the way the nvidia driver handles texture memory (or the lack of it as the case may be.) Once they fix that, though ....

Well, they are beta ;) Hopefully before they go final it'll be fixed. I've had a few oddities, but I think that was more beryl's fault.

I do not think glxgears is a reliable test.

In my brand new Core 2 Duo / 2GB dual RAM / GeForce 7300 GS-256MB, I normally get some 9,100-9,200 fps from it. But when run right after an OpenGL screensaver was triggered, glxgears reports just 60-70 fps...

Also, if the main glxgears application window is minimized, then the test happily shows 14,000 fps or more.

(my OS is a 32-bit one, I may try a 64-bit OS one of these days, although I think I will lose more than what I'll gain...).

I wouldn't call that test reliable- am I wrong?

Edited by scarecrow

I do not think glxgears is a reliable test.

In my brand new Core 2 Duo / 2GB dual RAM / GeForce 7300 GS-256MB, I normally get some 9,100-9,200 fps from it. But when run right after an OpenGL screensaver was triggered, glxgears reports just 60-70 fps...

Also, if the main glxgears application window is minimized, then the test happily shows 14,000 fps or more.

(my OS is a 32-bit one, I may try a 64-bit OS one of these days, although I think I will lose more than what I'll gain...).

I wouldn't call that test reliable- am I wrong?

Correct :)

Just showing the numbers, my glxgears reports the same all the time though so from that standpoint it is reliable from the differences from one to the other.

When I play EnemyTerritory am I getting 12K FPS, HELLSNO..... :o

There's some annoying bugs in beryl 0.1.1 if you are a gamer (Like hard freeze when exiting a game), but it's easely ivercome if you choose to another engine (eg. metacity, kwin etc.) before gaming and then switch it back on when done gaming.

Shouldn't Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" be under Section "Screen" ? :unsure:

Shouldn't Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" be under Section "Screen" ? :unsure:

You can put it in either section. Straight from the README, Appendix D:

The following driver options are supported by the NVIDIA X driver. They may be specified either in the Screen or Device sections of the X config file.

ah, okay :thumbs:

Somehow it just seems weird that there's two places to put the command. But there might be a logical reason for it.

Or maybe no ;). My guess is that both sections exist for a specific reason, but to get around arguments about which section is the "proper" section for a specific option, they just allow it to be put in both. But that's just a guess, there may be an actual reason.