Xorg 7.1

Open Office 2.0.4

Firefox 2.0

Gaim 2.0 beta 3.1

Orca

and more...

Release Notes

Ubuntu Linux

What about XGL\AIGLX and Beryl\Compiz? No word about them in the release notes. Is it as easy to install and configure them as in Mandriva?
It doesn't have it's own program for configuration (like 3drake or whatever it is), but installing can be done via the software installer they provide, and if you get beryl it has it's own configuration tool now (which works quite well and has a ton of options).

What about XGL\AIGLX and Beryl\Compiz? No word about them in the release notes. Is it as easy to install and configure them as in Mandriva?

It's quiet easy to install, I've done it in less than 5 min. (mostly because I downloaded the 9xxx Nvidia driver).

There's a howtos here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272104

For Nividia 9xxx driver + beryl + edgy = http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263851

You get directly plugged into beryl, the beryl developer are running an ubuntu source list so it's a no-brainer. Then add two lines in the xorg.conf and you're running.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Here's a screenshot with Nvidia 9xxx + beryl, as you see it use both a config manager and theme manager.

Edit: forgot the link :P

Edit: Edit: somethings wrong with my image hoster, so I'll attach it instead.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Gave it a short testdrive. Verdict: It's damn good indeed, factly the best version of Ubuntu (or rather in my case: Kubuntu) I have ever tried!

It won't replace Arch in my main box, but surely enough it wll be my first pick when I recommend a Linux distro to newbies. The reason is quite simple: IT-JUST-WORKS.

(I know, I should't say good things about a shameless Debian clone, but well, it *IS* a very good distro! :P )

Compared to that one, Mandriva 2007 should hide nine feet underground... the difference in performance, package integration and polish is simply HUGE.

Plus (for me, at least): It comes with kernel 2.6.17, but patched well enough to initialize the Jmicron SATA/PATA controller on my new box. Mandriva fails to see any harddisk attached...

My only complaint is that it is VERY limited to be used as a liveCD, and since Kanotix in his current RC4 edition cannot initialize the dreaded Jmicron controller, I'm currently without any useful liveCD... but I can wait, I guess (Kano has promised that RC5 will work with the Jmicron troublemaker).

My congrats to the Ubuntu devs, they have done an exhellent job.

Edited by scarecrow

I went to play with Kububtu and have a spare logical partition. It appears that Kubuntu will only put / on a primary partition. Is that correct?
shouldn't be. linux doesn't normally care...but i might suggest starting a thread in other linux distributions if this becomes a big discussion ;) (or, i'll just split the thread :D)