Wireless Frustration

Chazzman_bm

Hi guys,

I've recently installed Mandriva 2006 on my laptop (HP nc6000). I'm new to Linux but am well digging it so far. The problem I've got is a wierd one in that I can't connect to my wireless network at home. I can 'see' the connection and get pretty good signal strength but when I click on connect, I get "Unable to contact daemon". I'm running a pre-shared key setup with 4 other machines in my house that all work fine but the laptop just won't play.

Strangely enough though, when I go to my office, I can connect to one of our secured wireless networks no problem. The laptop detects the network, I click on it, enter the pre-shared key and voila, I'm connected. None of this unable to connect nonsense. Nothing changes on the laptop configuration wise between work and home so I don't get it.

Any advice, hints, tips?

Cheers.

Just a guess on my part, but you might want to check if MAC address filtering is enabled on the router. I have forgotten that I had it, and it caused problems. If that is not the problem, try setting the router to factory defaults, and see if it then connects, if it does, re-enable WEP, and try again.

Let us know how it goes.