can't boot linux...

mifan

well, i tried to boot into linux from this laptop, in order to try if some generic graphics and sound drivers can work, but now the boot process is stuck on loading the HAL daemon. when it gets to HAL, the dvd-rom pops open and the system just waits there. If i close the dvd-rom, then it just pops open again.

anyone have trouble booting into linux after using win xp?

i tried to boot into linux from this laptop

What is this laptop? Specs please? I have no idea how to help you otherwise. I've never had probs booting Linux after XP. It's probably your hardware, but we don't know what it is.

hp pavillion dv2000. amd turion 64x2, and windows tells me this: nvidia geforce go 6150 chipset (when i was able to log into linux, it was a 6150 video card and an mpc51 audio), 1gb ram, 100gb sata hd, nvidia nforce networking controller, broadcom wireless network adapter.

You could try pressing ESC to view the screen in verbose mode, then when prompted, press I for interactive mode as shown on the screen, then you can go through it step by step to see what is going on.

Mifan,

Please let us know if you have success in doing what Ian has suggested.

I was unable to boot into Mandriva 2007 on my Toshiba 5205-S703 and was unable to do what Ian suggested.

However, I got mine to work by doing an "upgrade" to my Mandriva2007 and choosing the generic Nvidia driver ("nv"), then I was able to boot and most everything is fine. Unfortunately, I can't use 3-D acceleration for some games and screensavers like I could in Mandriva2006, and 3D desktop is not supported.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I just installed a Mandriva copy of linux on my HP Pavillion dv6000, it took me 2 tries but I got it, I should of installed it in the MBR instead of the first section of the sector, but I got it to boot, it looks good but I have some wireless issues but Ill figure it out.

Hope you guys get this figured out, wish I could be of some help but Im a newbie with Linux but I love it :D

Edited by dinty01