ssh transfer [solved]

JonEberger

history: i did quite a few searches but found nothing here (or elsewhere) that really answered my problems. i found an application named "screen" but figure that surely ssh has this built into it.

problem: i ssh frequently to my work machine (it's much faster than my laptop or desktop at home) to work at home (nighttimes frequently). but sometimes ssh times out (wireless networking dropped or session time expires). can i:

1.) ssh into my machine, start a process (typically running code), and then push it to the background allowing me to close the connection, but that program still run on the machine i logged into? and/or

2.) ssh into my workstation from home, then if i go to my workstation at work transfer my home session to the local session since i'm logging in as the same user?

are these even possible?

thanks guys,

jon

bg process puts the process "on hold" so it will stop processing

screen is the way to go

WORK:

ssh servername

> screen

>> gcc -0 out ........ ec etc etc

>> [CTRL]d (note: ctrl d 'detaches' the screen but leaves it running)

> logout

HOME:

ssh servername

> screen -r (note: screen -r 're-attaches' a running screen session)

I use it everyday :)

screen is indeed wonderfull (btw, isn't it Ctrl+A, Ctrl+D instead?); the only drawback it has (not its fault) is that the DISPLAY variable is set at startup, so if you reattach your "screen" on a different machine, you have to set DISPLAY again (and ensure with xhost that the change will be OK).

Yves.

A bit late, but I'll also throw in my support for screen. I use it all the time - configure kernel, start compile, end session, go home, get back in, bzImage is ready to be moved to /boot. :thumbs:

It's also a handy tool when you're bittorrenting ;)

• 1 month later...