Fedora Core 6 (Zod)

Reiver_Fluffi

Well, neither BCMWXX would work, nor ndiswrapper. (I found every Fedora howto on the net for both.) I actually got a signal working with the newer driver, after using wfcutter, but it still would not connect to my router. Extremely sad. A laptop without wireless is really not a good thing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, neither BCMWXX would work, nor ndiswrapper. (I found every Fedora howto on the net for both.) I actually got a signal working with the newer driver, after using wfcutter, but it still would not connect to my router. Extremely sad. A laptop without wireless is really not a good thing.

You might try atrpms

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/

# vi /etc/yum.repos.d/.atrpms.repo

[atrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/fc$releasever-$basearch/atrpms/stable
gpgkey=http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0

# yum --enablerepo=atrpms install ndiswrapper

That should get the bits you need. Keep in mind I don't use ndiswrapper, but I use 3945 from atrpms and keep in disabled by default and just grab the wireless stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
My point is one of principle. (as usual) I maintain that I should be able to get my laptop running via wireless. All I need is ndiswrapper on the disk. Mandriva is one that does this. That's right, Mandriva allows me to configure my wireless without being on-line. I am being harsh. But, I find this rather fundamental. I do not think that Mandriva is the only distro that I can get working without a net connection.

Now one could complain that any wireless device using ndiswrapper should be shunned. On principle I might agree. But I already own my laptop and do not have the funds to toss it and get another.

This basically sums up what I said already

http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/62413.html

Using Fedora makes me realise why I like Mandriva so much. I have all I need in the repo's. Even Fedora doesn't have everything. win32-codecs for one, no rpm install, you have to use tarball. OK, no great problem.

I wanted joomla the other day, nope doesn't exist in Fedora or even the livna/freshrpms repositories. Yet it exists in Mandriva's! :P

Don't get me wrong, I like Fedora, but I like the availability of being able to install packages easily, regardless of whether it's urpmi/yum/pacman or whatever. I only want to go to source/tarballs when it's really necessary.

For me, I think I have a good classification. Fedora for work, Mandriva for home.

Using Fedora makes me realise why I like Mandriva so much. I have all I need in the repo's. Even Fedora doesn't have everything. win32-codecs for one, no rpm install, you have to use tarball. OK, no great problem.

I wanted joomla the other day, nope doesn't exist in Fedora or even the livna/freshrpms repositories. Yet it exists in Mandriva's! :P

Don't get me wrong, I like Fedora, but I like the availability of being able to install packages easily, regardless of whether it's urpmi/yum/pacman or whatever. I only want to go to source/tarballs when it's really necessary.

For me, I think I have a good classification. Fedora for work, Mandriva for home.

I agree with you in:

Using Fedora makes me realise why I like Mandriva so much.

I have found that, Mandriva linux is the relatively wide acceptable linux distro among users in Public Services and self-gov.. I essence it is very simple and clear (of course not flawless)in both Installation and Use manners. The average PC users world wide are not IT prof.s. Simply they want to use some apps on home or office computers. Believe me they are the majority. So it is unwise to neglect them, especially if we want to allure them to the Linux world.Thanks.

Fahd

I agree with you in:

Using Fedora makes me realise why I like Mandriva so much.

I have found that, Mandriva linux is the relatively wide acceptable linux distro among users in Public Services and self-gov.. I essence it is very simple and clear (of course not flawless)in both Installation and Use manners. The average PC users world wide are not IT prof.s. Simply they want to use some apps on home or office computers. Believe me they are the majority. So it is unwise to neglect them, especially if we want to allure them to the Linux world.Thanks.

Fahd

I wouldn't say that a distro like fedora was for "pro's" only, after all I use it (which is saying something) :D

And me, I use it too. It's pretty easy, but can be a little harder to get some things that are easily available in Mandriva.

Ah, but each distro is different, so I should know this and not compare as such. Or should I? :unsure:

Okay, I have Fedora Core 6 running since two weeks on one of my Sempron rigs and I like the distro. FC5 was a bit of a nightmare for me with broken packages and isos that refused to install (although they worked before!) and downloads that were always corrupted (15 CDs lost). But FC6 runs smoothly, no updates that break anything and pup finally works as expected. The only thing I really miss is the new icon theme, but that still needs some work (There are some consistency and design problems. I told Diana Fong already about the isues and they work on that).

Sure, some things can be improved like bootspeed (FC6 needs roughly one minute on my box, while debian and Mandriva need less than 30 seconds, which is surprising for me, as FC4 booted in 32 seconds :huh: ) or snappyness of the desktop (I guess beagle slows it down a bit), but apart from that, it has been very stable for me.

Final thing: I said once that I think that Fedora is geared more towards experienced Linux users and I still claim that. It is however not the "uber-geek-distro" where you need to know Linux in and out in order to get things up and running.

I still recommend Mandy to newcomers.

I still recommend Mandy to newcomers.

Same here. :)

edit: I uninstalled beagle, I know where my files are even on my 560gb setup.

These indexing engines like in Amarok always annoy me, too much load on my box for too little gain.

Edited by solarian

Okay, I have Fedora Core 6 running since two weeks on one of my Sempron rigs and I like the distro. FC5 was a bit of a nightmare for me with broken packages and isos that refused to install (although they worked before!) and downloads that were always corrupted (15 CDs lost). But FC6 runs smoothly, no updates that break anything and pup finally works as expected. The only thing I really miss is the new icon theme, but that still needs some work (There are some consistency and design problems. I told Diana Fong already about the isues and they work on that).

New icons

$ su -c "yum --enablerepo=development install echo-icon-theme"

Newer artwork:

$ su -c "yum --enablerepo=development update redhat-artwork fedora-logos"

I already added them to my box, but as I sad, they still need some work. I hope they get them finished for FC7. The bluecurve icons might not be the prettiest, but they are at least highly useable and easy on the eyes. :)

Sure Fedora must have a PLF source to added into the repo?

Sure Fedora must have a PLF source to added into the repo?

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/w32codec/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/w32codec/READTHIS

It's funny, he says you have to build it yourself, yet Mandy have one, and nobody has said anything against this. Of course, it's probably in plf-nonfree which kind of covers that area. Dag probably has a problem because he might be seen as providing it on his site.