Fedora Core 6 (Zod)

Reiver_Fluffi

Compiz is now working, although I will be damned if I knew what the problem was, I haven;t really changed anything.......the joys :D

How did you get it working? This is my first ati card in my laptop, and um I feel like a noob..... :o

Uhm, not really sure, compiz is installed by default, my current xorg.conf is like this:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier	 "single head configuration"
Screen	  0  "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

Section "Module"
Load   "dri"
Load   "extmod"
Load   "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
Driver	  "kbd"
Option		"XkbModel" "pc105"
Option		"XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Videocard0"
Driver	  "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device	 "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth	 24
SubSection "Display"
	Viewport   0 0
	Depth	 24
	Modes	"1024x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "800x600" "640x480" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option	  "Composite"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Group		0
	Mode		 0666
EndSection

Althoug, I had to add the modules, Extensions and DRI sections manually. It's quite a basic xorg.conf compared to my fc5 xorg.conf

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm, not really sure, compiz is installed by default, my current xorg.conf is like this:

Your using the radeon driver to and not the fglrx so that doesn't work for me (x1400) :)

But I'm using Xen anyways so no biggy, thanks anyway.

I am then showing 15 peers with 7 seeds with a swarm speed of 1Mps.

... if your downloading at 1mbs that is pretty high ;)

Don't forget that a swarm speed of 1 Mbps doesn't mean a download rate of 1 Mbps! From what I understand, the swam speed is the total total data transfer rate between all members of a swarm, so is obviously much much higher than each individual sees. I guess it's just an impressive number to throw around.

For instance, I'm currently downloading Ubuntu 6.10 CD, and it says the swarm speed is an impressive 2.4 Mbps! Alas my personal download rate is a slightly more modest 16 kbps :sad:

Fedora is still a semi-flop!

In order to get my laptop working, I must hook up via ethernet to get ndiswrapper. But this time, the default kernel is i386, and yum wishes to use i686 rpm's, as well it should. And my box won't let got of the i386 kernel! What a joke!!! :wall:

In order to get my laptop working, I must hook up via ethernet to get ndiswrapper. But this time, the default kernel is i386, and yum wishes to use i686 rpm's, as well it should. And my box won't let got of the i386 kernel! What a joke!!! :wall:

Yup, there was a kernel bug in the install were you could end up with i3/586 instead of 686. Easy fix.

# rpm -e kernel && yum install kernel

If the ndiswarppr might have already d/l the kernel. You can check here:

/var/cache/yum/core/packages/

Then just run:

# rpm -Uhv --replacepkgs --replacefiles kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686.rpm

Quite harsh to be honest, as jlc said the kernel issue is unfortunately a known bug, and to be honest, you wouldn't be the first person to have ony sort of issues with wireless drivers with any distribution. Most distro's "do" require some work to get them up and running "as intended", why should Fedora be branded a flop for falling into that category. By that logic "all" distro's would be flops :huh:

My point is one of principle. (as usual) I maintain that I should be able to get my laptop running via wireless. All I need is ndiswrapper on the disk. Mandriva is one that does this. That's right, Mandriva allows me to configure my wireless without being on-line. I am being harsh. But, I find this rather fundamental. I do not think that Mandriva is the only distro that I can get working without a net connection.

Now one could complain that any wireless device using ndiswrapper should be shunned. On principle I might agree. But I already own my laptop and do not have the funds to toss it and get another.

My point is one of principle. (as usual) I maintain that I should be able to get my laptop running via wireless. All I need is ndiswrapper on the disk. Mandriva is one that does this. That's right, Mandriva allows me to configure my wireless without being on-line. I am being harsh. But, I find this rather fundamental. I do not think that Mandriva is the only distro that I can get working without a net connection.

Now one could complain that any wireless device using ndiswrapper should be shunned. On principle I might agree. But I already own my laptop and do not have the funds to toss it and get another.

In the same token, Fedora's point is one of principle. If its closed, you wont find it in Fedora. Simple eh?

If your principle and Fedora's principle don't meet, then you simply use another distro :)

I see your point, but in the same respect is the problem really with the distro and it's principle to support open technologies, or the hardware vendor for not supporting their hardware on an open platform? After all, IMHO, one of the biggest issues with linux is hardware support and vendors co-operating with the open source community, not which distro provider chooses to ship closed source software within it's official releases as a matter of principle.