Fedora Core 6 (Zod)

Reiver_Fluffi

I think we should ask arctic to make his review of FC6 like he had done previously.

are you suggesting that we make him work and us reap the benefits? if so, i wholeheartedly agree. :cheesy:

jk arctic. seriously, if you have any comments though that'd rock.

I run rawhide so bascially yes :)

Moving my laptop to it today/night and keep that one on *stable* release. I always like FC/RH stuff so I'm a bit biased :)

Its fast, has bling and looks nice, thats my review ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should ask arctic to make his review of FC6 like he had done previously.

are you suggesting that we make him work and us reap the benefits? if so, i wholeheartedly agree. :cheesy:

jk arctic. seriously, if you have any comments though that'd rock.

I'm using it at the moment, the boot isn't that much faster, but gnome is very quick to start up. Having troubles configuring compiz though, can't seem to find any documentation useful to me at the moment, not helped by the fact that anaconda gave me a dumbed down xorg.conf. That aside, everything else is working, although I had problems with the fglrx rpms at livna at first, this was due to anaconda installing a i586 kernel, and not a i686 as expected.

Does anaconda finds other OSes allready installed (because in fc4 it didn't)?

To be honest I can't answer that, maybe someone else can, I did a fresh install, I knew what my partitions where, I did the job myself.

Compiz is now working, although I will be damned if I knew what the problem was, I haven;t really changed anything.......the joys :D

Compiz is now working, although I will be damned if I knew what the problem was, I haven;t really changed anything.......the joys :D

How did you get it working? This is my first ati card in my laptop, and um I feel like a noob..... :o

I'm starting to download FC6 now as well, as I was quite liking FC5 so far, and added the livna and freshrpms repositories last night cos I realised I couldn't play my mp3's!

Currently only getting 45kbps in Azureus, so currently it's gonna take about 22-24 hours to download.

Currently only getting 45kbps in Azureus, so currently it's gonna take about 22-24 hours to download.

Is this a limitation due to your connction? If not, try configuring Azureus, there are tons of good manuals around. I've downloaded FC6 with Azureus with a speed of 450kb/s.

I'm downloading at work, and I cannot configure the firewall to open the necessary port, so I'm continually on yellow and not green.

Plus the work connection seems to fluctuate a lot. It's much better in the mornings and overnight, whereas mid morning onwards it's crap and extremely slow.

I actually noticed it had gone to zero which is strange. So I restarted the client, I can only think that either the seeders disappeared or something went wrong somewhere :unsure:

Downloading at work....My boss would kill me. :mellow:

Can't think of a reason why the seeder woul disappear. Are you using the torrents provided by Fedora? There are also some external torrents around which us bad/unreliable trackers.

Realised it was using jre-1.4.2 which comes default with FC5, and I think jre-1.5.0.6 is better for azureus, so installed this with a bit of hacking around, and I seem to be getting much faster download now :unsure:

On Thursday 26 October 2006 12:47, Dr. Diesel wrote:

> During release time?

>

> Any stats?

>

> I saw that kernel.org was pretty much saturated at 2GBs yesterday!

This release was quite a significant jump in traffic. There was possibly a

distributed attack on redhat.com too, that bled over to the Fedora

infrastructure. Post-mordom investigations have not completed.

For a general idea, you can check the bittorent tracker:

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org:6969/

The torrent has seen close to 90TB in Zod traffic. That's not small.

--

Jesse Keating

Release Engineer: Fedora

Not to shabby ;)

I'm waiting for FC6 to mature a bit, say a week or two.

Oh, and of course I'm waiting for arctic's review as well. :P

Uh... you guys really want to make me sweat, eh? :lol2:

Maybe I will give FC6 a shot and write a review. But I cannot assure that I will post one this time. My sparetime is much more limited now due to the new job I have. Workloads of 10+ hours per day are not unusual for me now. And the weekend is used more and more for :zzz:

Okay, I will give it a look... :P