Wine on Mandriva 2006 64bit & OpenGL

Guest Blakkie

Guest Blakkie

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this whole Linux thing and am desperate to finally dump my windows partition :D

I am currently running an AMD 64 3000+ with 512MB RAM, an ATI Radeon 9600 AP (AGP card)

Everything is working quite happily, but.. I want to play Half-Life. I have installed wine 0.9.23 and this works a treat for some of my applications, but as soon as I try running anything that might use DirectX or OpenGL it decides it can't be bothered. This is the main error code that keeps recurring

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wined3d.dll": libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:ddraw:DDRAW_Create Couldn't load WineD3D - OpenGL libs not present?

I have installed ATI proprietry driver from PLF and have run glxgears and this works fine at about 500FPS

I have libGLU somewhere.. :P here:

[andy@localhost ~]$ locate libGLU.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.502
/usr/X11R6/lib64/libGLU.so.1
[andy@localhost ~]$

Having looked extensivly on the web I get the overall feeling 64bit versions of wine are not working great, (there's a whole section at winehq about building 64bit wine on lots of distros, but no section for Mandriva :sad: )and to top it all my ATI graphics card appears to be a huge mistake. :wall:

Has anyone got Half-life (or any other openGL game) running on their 64 bit version of Wine with an ATI graphics card, or am I just biting off more than I can chew?

You should try using cedega to play games, although it's not free, most games don't run under wine.

Regarding your problem with a 64 bits system and an Ati video card, try the following fix, it's for cedega but maybe it would work on wine too.

ATI and 64-bit distributions

A number of users with ATI video cards on 64 bit machines do not receive accelerated 3D graphics with Cedega or will only receive a grey screen when starting some games (such as Half-Life 2/Counter Strike: Source). This issue is caused by an error in the ATI driver setup in the 32-bit compatibility environment.

To get working 3D acceleration with Cedega you need to setup the correct path for the LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH environment variable. To do so run in a terminal:

$ export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib32/modules/dri/:/usr/lib64/modules/dri

then launch Cedega from that terminal. To set this variable permanently, check your distribution documentation for the best method.

Guest Blakkie

Hi Soka,

thanks for your reply. I have tried doing the fix you have suggested, however this changed nothing. On close inspection I have neither of the directories mentioned in the export command. I did try using the directories that contain the libGLU libraries, but still no change.

However on a more positive note I have stumbled on a little further with wine!

Using wine in Windows 2000 or XP mode got me all the way to menu of half-life and I can even run it using software rendering (though the picture and sound both lag hugely!) The openGL mode doesn't work at all and it comes up saying my card does not support OpenGL. But still it's quite exciting to see it kinda working!!

It still has the same error popping up about libGL libs not being present, any other thoughts on why this would be happening?

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wined3d.dll": libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:ddraw:DDRAW_Create Couldn't load WineD3D - OpenGL libs not present?

I also get a half-life window popping up saying:

Direct Draw Init Failed (887600de):No Direct Draw Support (which I just click okay to and HL carries on loading!)

Anyways as for cedega, I feel that if I used Cedega I would be giving up! I've started in WINE and according to winehq's appDB lots of games run in WINE without the need for Cedega.

Keep the suggestions coming!!

Cheers

Andy