Yet another online Linux distro chooser

spinynorman

I still need to try Slackware, though :lol:

A lot of Arch users (incl. myself) are former Slackware users. As long as you have lived happily with Arch for some time, I see no chance using Slackware: it's equally difficult/easy to manage (factly it's configuration files and structure are more complex), it's package management sucks bigtime compared to pacman, and it may be more stable/tested, but it's not bleeding edge distro, like Arch- rather the opposite (although it's surely much more "bleeding" than Mandriva Official).

It's not so much one of those "i want to seriously try this distro" things, it's more "i want to install it and muck with it so i have an idea of what it's about and can say, 'i tried it, but i like this other distro better'" ;)

I still need to try Slackware, though :lol:

A lot of Arch users (incl. myself) are former Slackware users. As long as you have lived happily with Arch for some time, I see no chance using Slackware: it's equally difficult/easy to manage (factly it's configuration files and structure are more complex), it's package management sucks bigtime compared to pacman, and it may be more stable/tested, but it's not bleeding edge distro, like Arch- rather the opposite (although it's surely much more "bleeding" than Mandriva Official).

They don't pretend to be arch, nor do they slackware. Although I'd expect you'd be wrong in comparing Mandriva 2007 with Slackware 11. Took them long enough to bring it out didn't they?

Not that I'm trolling Slackware now, I quite like it. But each to their own. You keep on and on about your Mandriva bashing, and really, it's just trolling.

For me, the only Debian I ever cared about is Sid... Sarge is also OK for server usage, where reliability is a primus, but etch... uhh, I'm sorry, but I cannot find any good usage for that thing.
I can. Etch/testing is almost as stable as Debian stable and thus a good option to use in case Sarge does not support your hardware. Furthermore, Sid is way too unstable for serious everyday usage. E.g. I, as a journalist, have some quite new equipment/hardware that I need to use, but I cannot afford to use something that unstable as Sid (I did that once and regretted it soon). Neither can I afford to use too old software (=Sarge) that does not support some essential functions that I need for e.g. formatting documents.

It seems I still have a lot to try and learn! The test gave me:

- FEDORA => never tried...

- Slackware (Does not have application library) => never tried...

- Mandriva (Your computer may be too slow (not false)) => I use this one.

- Arch Linux (Does not have application library) => never tried...

- Gentoo (Does not have application library) => never tried...

- Debian (Your computer may be too slow) => I use this one.

So that makes 4 I never tried for only 2 I use!

However:

- I don't agree on Debian lacking speed, because it is possibly one of the most adaptable distro out there due to the number of installation possibilities; - and I'm a bit surprised about Gentoo: I thought it had lots of software; on the other hand, there it should point the speed problem, shouldn't it?

Yves.