Yet another online Linux distro chooser

spinynorman

The "Linux Distribution Chooser" walks you through a brief set of 16 questions designed to determine which Linux distro might be best for you.

The distros currently included in the tool's database include: Fedora Core, Mandriva, OpenSuSE, Debian, MEPIS, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linspire, Xandros, PCLinuxOS, Yellowdog Linux, Gentoo, Slackware, Ark Linux, Knoppix, Arch Linux, and Foresight Linux.

More details at DesktopLinux.com.

It's funny, it suggested Mandriva and Fedora for me. In fact, I have Mandriva mostly, but installed Fedora just yesterday. Nice :P

But then I did say I preferred rpm, so that kind of ruled out Debian appearing in the list.

Gave me:

Mandriva

Kubuntu

Debian

Fedora

Ubuntu

overall ok, but it missed Suse :huh:

and I prefer gnome over KDE

I still need to try Slackware, though :lol:

A lot of Arch users (incl. myself) are former Slackware users. As long as you have lived happily with Arch for some time, I see no chance using Slackware: it's equally difficult/easy to manage (factly it's configuration files and structure are more complex), it's package management sucks bigtime compared to pacman, and it may be more stable/tested, but it's not bleeding edge distro, like Arch- rather the opposite (although it's surely much more "bleeding" than Mandriva Official).

Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Kubuntu.

I chose "I want the greatest and latest stable software". How does Debian fits in this? Anyway when I tried Debian in the old days (Potato, my first ever distro, and Woody) it wasn't for me that's for sure.

Edited by dexter11

For me, the only Debian I ever cared about is Sid... Sarge is also OK for server usage, where reliability is a primus, but etch... uhh, I'm sorry, but I cannot find any good usage for that thing.

Maybe it's just me, but (IMHO) Debian should use just "really stable" (Sarge) and "really unstable" (Sid)- mainly because the packagers do a fine job, and "unstable/Sid" is way more stable than Cooker, or most unstable branches out there.