CUPS not installing [solved]

confused

Can you do this from the console for me:

rpm -qa | grep cups

this will tell me if you have everything installed for printing. Then we can proceed to get it working after this, with:

urpmi cups

When you have an error message, it is helpful to quote the exact message. Details assist in solutions.

I have an Epson C64, which runs just fine in Linux, as does almost every Epson printing product. (a good reason to buy Epson products) If I remember correctly, there are at least 5 packages installed along with CUPS for printing. If you use urpmi rather than the older rpm to install software, all the depends should be handled for you. As it is, if CUPS won't install because it needs another program, then install that program first. (that's why the exact message is important) These are called "depends" and are common for many programs, particularly system type functions like printing. Another alternative is to utilize MCC (which uses urmi) and the depends will be handled.

Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redwood

Hi Folks,

I'd like to join this discussion as I have the same symptoms with CUPS (printer runs OK but insists on trying to and failing to install cups on each log-in after a reboot). I am a bit further down the road on researching this.

In answer to the questions raised by ianw1974, rpm -qa | grep cups gives

gutenprint-cups-5.0.0-1mdv2007.0

libcups2-1.2.3-3mdv2007.0

libgnomecups-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0

cups-1.2.3-3mdv2007.0

libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0

libcups2-devel-1.2.3-3mdv2007.0

cups-drivers-2007-6mdv2007.0

cups-common-1.2.3-3mdv2007.0

The "devel" was installed by me to see if it fixed the problem. urpmi cups does not fix the problem either.

I have tried uninstalling cups and reinstalling by either MCC or on the "log-in" install. No change.

In answer to Ixthusdan, my installation of Mandriva 2007 was complicated. (Bear with me, this is relevant). It started as an upgrade of 2006 which froze. On the next attempt, one package (I forget which) wouldn't install and X-Windows wouldn't run. So I went for an install reformatting the root partition (/home was not reformatted). This worked although KDE was in a terrible mess. To cut an already long story short, I deleted ".kde" directory and most things came to life. I was left with 3 (so far) problems. Firstly, KDE themes don't seem to work (not relevant so ignore this), secondly installing packages using MCC produces a curious error message "There was a problem during the installation: unable to remove the package" although every package installed OK. I can live with this as I don't do much installing, but I think it might be linked to the cups problem - perhaps the install of cups is giving a bad return. The third problem is the cups problem on log-in. The exact error message is "could not install the CUPS Printing System!".

I suspect that my KDE is in a mess. However another reinstall of 2007 did not fix it and I get the exact same symptoms from a new username.

I *think* I have traced the error message to /usr/lib/libDrakX/printer/printerdrake.pm to a subroutine called "install_spooler". The amount I know about spoolers I could write on the back of a postage stamp. Neither am I sure of how to insert diagnostics into perl scripts to investigate this further.

I'd be grateful for any help on this.

This is what I have on my system:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cups
libcups2-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0
libgnomecups-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
cups-drivers-2007-6mdv2007.0
libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0
cups-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0
gutenprint-cups-5.0.0-2mdv2007.0
cups-common-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

the differences are that I have updated versions. I would suggest applying all updates to your system.