Microwave woes

Gowator

Apparently, my microwave doesn't allow me to use it with the door open.

Is there any particular reason for this?

I am new to microwave cookers but find it very inconvenient to have to keep closing the door while Im cooking?

Why are $MANUFACTURER taking away my freedoms? Surely its up to me to determine the risks involved?

Why have this stupid default when some people want to use the microwave with the door open...

When we solve this imposition on my freedoms we can sort out my gas water heater which turns itself off if the pilot light is not lit.

Discuss... (in case anyone misses it this is about root login's to the GUI)

Dear Gowator,

I'm a cross bred Persian/Tabby mix and my owner recently added a root login to his desktop ...

One of the children then changed his password ... can you help me fix this for my master, he is going mad and hasn't fed me since he got locked out. Luckily I found a LiveCd on one of his magazines ..

Yours cuddles

Dear Gowator, Im a linux noobie and reading some of the posts on here it looks like I need to enable root access to the desktop. I followed the editing of kdmrc although I don't really understand how any of this works and then accidentally deleted the /bin directory.

Why does linux not protect this directory, it seems very important since it no longer boots and Im back in Windows again... just as i was starting to get the hang of linux.

Apparently, my microwave doesn't allow me to use it with the door open.

Is there any particular reason for this?

I am new to microwave cookers but find it very inconvenient to have to keep closing the door while Im cooking?

Why are $MANUFACTURER taking away my freedoms? Surely its up to me to determine the risks involved?

Why have this stupid default when some people want to use the microwave with the door open...

When we solve this imposition on my freedoms we can sort out my gas water heater which turns itself off if the pilot light is not lit.

You know, Gowator, I was having this discussion just the other day about why my ATM card should need to have a PIN on it. It's such a drag to have to key it in all the time, and I never lose my card, so why should I have to have this inconvenience foisted upon me?

I probably shouldn't weigh into this debate (I just wanted an excuse to use the word 'foist' in a post), but there are safeguards that are there for a reason, and I agree with Gowator that door locks on microwaves and restrictions on root logins to the GUI are but two examples.

Anyway, if you're smart enough to know how to safely use a microwave oven with the door open, surely you're smart enough to be able to override the device that stops you from doing that?

By the way, any particular reason for the Persian/Tabby mix?

By the way, any particular reason for the Persian/Tabby mix?

Erm, I didn't choose it, cuddles must have posted under my username. B)

I guess that's my mistake for not locking the desktop.....

You know, Gowator, I was having this discussion just the other day about why my ATM card should need to have a PIN on it. It's such a drag to have to key it in all the time, and I never lose my card, so why should I have to have this inconvenience foisted upon me?

Good analogy.... of course its the people who can never remember the pin whom usually complain :D but lets face it if you can't remember 4-6 numbers then the chance of fogetting the card somewhere seems somewhat higher :D

But of course noone is foisting anything on you.... just cut the card up and use cash :D but I guess if you want the convenience of an ATM card then you have to accept the bank also have to protect themselves.

We could ask why cars have keys in the same way. Ive lived in places where noone would ever steal a car and everyone just leaves the keys in the ignition and while we are asking why do I need insurance to drive... Im a careful driver and never had an accident (well when moving) and if I did hit someone .. well they can sue me for medical costs and damages.

I just find it somewhat bewildering people are ranting about Mandriva protecting noobies at the expense of those who know what they are doing spending less than 1 minute editing a file and restarting X.

However .. it seems that these super guru's who must by definition know so much more about linux than I (since I'd never dream of logging in a root) are viewing this as an impostition against their human rights.

While we are on it who says what side of the road I should be driving on and who put the steering wheel on that side...I prefer changing gear with the other hand :wall:

Hi Gowater. I don't know if you are joking or not about running the microwave with the door open. If you are not then here is why you can't. The microwave frequency used is deadly to living tissue. Even a small exposure of a few seconds, or repeated accummulative exposure can cause irreparible damage to you and even kill you. In fact the earliest microwave units had a radiation leakage problem that was so bad that they were almost totally banned from manufacture. When the devices were improved, leakage detectors were produced and marketed. You can still buy them today. The issue is so important that independant DOUBLE locking of the doors is mandatory. The radiation producer is the same as is used in Radar, but just tuned to a particular frequency. That is why safety limits apply to testing radar in tightly controlled areas and preventing exposure to people from the radiation.

As I have said before, I was trained as an Apprentice Radio and Radar Technician in the Royal Australian Air Force so I have been trained in the Safety First aspects as well. I won't mess with it and hopefully you won't either. I like all the friends I have here at MUB and would hate to lose any of you.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

AussieJohn, unless I'm reading Gowator wrong, I think he is joking about the microwave thing, using it as an analogy for being able to login into the GUI as root.

I didn't know about you being in the RAAF! I have an uncle who was in a similar area of the RAAF (I think) down in Sale and other places :) Small world, huh!

I suspected he was joking but the post was made just in case he wasn't. The subject is a very dangerous issue and I don't like to assume.

My RAAF time was 1951-1959 and spent at Melbourne, Ballarat, Canberra and then Richmond.

Cheers. John.

Hi Gowater. I don't know if you are joking or not about running the microwave with the door open. If you are not then here is why you can't...

Thanks John and that illustrates why I am so opposed to these posts about root.

The danger is that someone reading the post is going to think "hmmm leaving the door of the microwave open sure sounds convenient" and stick a broken matchstick or something into the mechanism.

People do this because people have interests in dfferent things in life. As a scientist its easy for me to post that as a joke (I mean who'd do that?) but then your post made me think. My mom sure would!

Hence Im going to annotate the original post as well... just in case.

But that's the problem with root login options.... many people will assume it is OK if its presented at a login screen. At least what is likely to happen is people do it before reading about the risks.

The same goes for posting it on forums such as this. When people see others saying "Its OK" or its "more convenient" then they are pretty much more likely to try and end up wrecking something.

(p.s. I expect to visit the tallest structure in the antipodes at XMas or at least be able to see it)

The point is like the pin on the card the whole security system of linux is built around it being multiuser. This is just the fundamental design (unless you use SE linux) just as microwaves are inherently dangerous.

Of course someone who didn't understand microwaves and physics might not understand WHY microwave radiation is dangerous... That is they can know its dangerous but not the mechanism.... for instance they might think its OK so long as they don't stick their hands inside while its on.

I suspected he was joking but the post was made just in case he wasn't. The subject is a very dangerous issue and I don't like to assume.

My RAAF time was 1951-1959 and spent at Melbourne, Ballarat, Canberra and then Richmond.

Cheers. John.

True, true. Both the literal subject matter and the allegorical subject matter are serious.

Alas, I think you were a little before my uncle's time. I'm not sure how old he is, but I think he would still have been at high school/tech for a lot of the time you were in RAAF. Nevertheless, you may have crossed paths at some stage :)

On another note, sorry to read about your troubles with 2007...

Alex