DV Cam compatibility

tubasoldier

My wife has sent me on a quest to find a DV Cam that is linux compatible. First of all I have never used a DV Cam or even looked into them before. So I would also like to know how to connect them to linux and what programs work well in creating DVD videos. I would even settle on svcd. Basically, which camera is reccomended and which programs are effective and easy enough to use that even my wife can do it?

You should check out this page. Unfortunately I have no experience with this, so the best I can do is point you to a page that may be helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try to answer them or we'll find someone who can :D

I just started to do this as well. Basically, almost all minidv cams will work. You will need a firewire card (20 dollars, us), and a cable. Kino will import the video, and then you can edit with that. There are other programs, but for general use, I don't see the bother... kino is fine.

Then, you would export the video either back to the dvcam to record, or as a file. You can export as an mpeg2 file for dvd burning.

Good luck, and check out the above site to get you started. There are a few things you will have to set up, but it is all explained on that site.