My Mandriva 2007 rant

ianw1974

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

Often the problem is when the keyboard itself is a hub. I had exactly the same probs and switching to a near idenitical keyboard but with no hub in the keyboard it worked...

Thanks for the advice, Gowator! I'll have to try another USB keyboard and see if that works. Unfortunately, there's no PS2 port, so I can't try that...

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's problems with 2007. Just for another point on the graph, the only trouble I have had so far has been with the USB keyboard not working until the kernel fires up, which made installation 'interesting' (I had to set the root password and set up users after installing). Having said that, I had the same trouble with 10.1, so I think it's this keyboard. Damn.*<BR>

This is the same that I had experienced with Windows when using somewhat older hardware. Because the BIOS doesn't detect anything USB at startup, it has to wait for some software to load in before anything USB (keyboard, mouse, hub, memory card reader, etc.) will begin to work.

I have not used a USB keyboard with Linux though.

Edwardp, the BIOS finds my keyboard fine, but I either have the choice of being able to use it in LILO and not use it in Linux (which means I can boot in Windows), or being unable to use it in LILO (meaning I'm stuck with Linux) and able to use it in Linux. It'll be interesting to see what happens with a non-OEM keyboard. Only good things, I hope.

In any case, I think I've accidentally hijacked the thread, so I'll continue this somewhere else when further developments arise :)

Try using vmware-server, it's free, but you won't be able to connect from another system! ;)

Incidently, my system is now Fedora 5 at home, and works sweet now. No problems, shuts down, etc.

My work machine (desktop) is likely to be Fedora soon since I cannot use vmware-server console on my laptop to connect to the desktop.

Just a few thoughts about things not working with a new version which were working with the previous. First as I've read from some people in other forums, mainly hup.hu, who actually saw the kernel source and knew what they're looking at, things can change quite a lot in the Linux kernel even with minor version number changes.

The other thing is the developer team which become smaller. Just imagine you are developing a distro you have to put a lot of new things inside, check it works with new hardware and you should check it upgrades the previous version and it works with the older hardware etc. and you have a deadline. What will you do when that deadline comes closer and closer. You take for granted what was working before.

It's all IMHO af course.

Just a few thoughts about things not working with a new version which were working with the previous. First as I've read from some people in other forums, mainly hup.hu, who actually saw the kernel source and knew what they're looking at, things can change quite a lot in the Linux kernel even with minor version number changes.

The other thing is the developer team which become smaller. Just imagine you are developing a distro you have to put a lot of new things inside, check it works with new hardware and you should check it upgrades the previous version and it works with the older hardware etc. and you have a deadline. What will you do when that deadline comes closer and closer. You take for granted what was working before.

It's all IMHO af course.

Nope I agree the problem is that this is historical... it keeps happening with mandriva/mandrake so at some point they shoulde have realised sacking all thier developers is not a good thing for development.

Unfortunately they got rid of the experienced ones and their lead developer who remember what happened in previous releases and so all that knowledge is now gone.

Meanwhile the continue to focus on cosmetics... they managed to get all the crap like the start Star and translucent backgrounds and wasted a lot of developer time trying to get MCC working... and even more developer time hacking applications to not interfere with the MCC ...

Its just my 2c but if they dropped MCC doing things which are done perfectly well and usually a lot better elsewhere they could concentrate on core functionality.

Why for instance waste developer time making a theme manager for KDE?

Hey mandriva... KDE provides one... :wall:

....and each time things change then the whole process of changing the MCC stuff has to be redone.

Why not just provide a stub to the relevant KDE CC module from MCC instead of reinventing the wheel (badly)...

I finally gave up with 2007 and restored from my last 2006 backup. The final straw was system freezes when using camE (webcam snapshot & ftp) and my webcams, or using Palantir (webcam server). I would freeze after 5 minutes, for example, using camE with one webcam.

Right now, on 2006, camE is working with 3 cams, taking snapshots from each every 5 minutes, and ftping the images to my web site. Likewise, Palantir also causes no system freezes.

I am willing to bet that almost ALL of you who say you have no troubles installing Mandriva 2007 are not using SATA drives.

When an OS will not really even start the install from the DVDrom then it is a sick OS. I can assure you it is not a burn problem or such like corruption problem of the DVD, I have checked all that and situation was exactly the same when I tried the earlier release versions of 2007.

I just had a look at the latest errata and there isn't anything vaguely resembling the problem.

Cheers. John

After having Fedora Core 5 on my machine, I don't know what happened, but now this isn't shutting down correctly either.

Seems I installed an update that screwed it. Gonna try Fedora 6 when it's finished downloading in the next 24 hours. :wall:

Will I ever get another distro to work on this machine, or should I just go back to Mandriva 2006? I had no problems whatsoever with this version, and seems if my hardware being 5 years old is a problem for newer distros, then there's not a lot I can do.

After having Fedora Core 5 on my machine, I don't know what happened, but now this isn't shutting down correctly either.

Seems I installed an update that screwed it. Gonna try Fedora 6 when it's finished downloading in the next 24 hours. :wall:

Will I ever get another distro to work on this machine, or should I just go back to Mandriva 2006? I had no problems whatsoever with this version, and seems if my hardware being 5 years old is a problem for newer distros, then there's not a lot I can do.

ianw, didn't you change the bios?

How about putting it back?

I guess your also a bit fatigued, any chance of just stepping back for a couple of days ?

Yeah I know the comp will be the same but you mifght look on it differently and spot something you are doing or over looking ?

I did upgrade to F9, but I put it back to F7 because it was running slower, even though it shutdown fine, and the soundcard didn't work either.

I went back to F7 as it was before, and the machine didn't work with Mandriva, but did with Fedora. Now it stopped working with Fedora :lol:

I'm gonna see how I go, but perhaps I'll disable acpi for the time being. That way, when I shut down, it'll stay at a halted screen, and I can manually power off. Right now, because ACPI is enabled, it attempts to shutdown, but the machine actually just resets for some bizarre reason.

I've not changed anything, the last command I did last night was an update, but need to check I suppose what was updated. Ah well, I'll have to live with it I suppose.

I'm gonna see how I go, but perhaps I'll disable acpi for the time being. That way, when I shut down, it'll stay at a halted screen, and I can manually power off. Right now, because ACPI is enabled, it attempts to shutdown, but the machine actually just resets for some bizarre reason.

I say give it a break :D I know its annoying but you would probably be more productive just using the power switch and have another go in a week.

You might get used to it.. do an update again and find it suddenly starts working .....

I am willing to bet that almost ALL of you who say you have no troubles installing Mandriva 2007 are not using SATA drives.

When an OS will not really even start the install from the DVDrom then it is a sick OS. I can assure you it is not a burn problem or such like corruption problem of the DVD, I have checked all that and situation was exactly the same when I tried the earlier release versions of 2007.

I just had a look at the latest errata and there isn't anything vaguely resembling the problem.

Cheers. John

i bet some of them are :D but I am equally willing to bet that there will be a fix and those SATA drivers that work now will probably not work once its implemented :D

If its working on 2006 though how about just updradig by URPMI? Course you might want to consider iof you actually gain anything useful inthe upgrade?

I agree with Gowater. This just seems to be an ongoing, continuing problem with Mandr..whatever. Now I have been a Mandrake evagelist since 7.0. My first. And I converted a couple people on different versions. But I feel 10.0 was the last version I trusted. Granted it had issues with the printer driver for my Laserjet 5 but I could work around it. And I'm not big on bleeding edge but even I thought the packages were getting old. I tried 10.1 and it gave me problems. 2006 gave me a new set of problems. Too many to ignore. I ended up getting my 10.0 system back installed. Now I was hoping 2007 would resolve the issues I had in 2006 but it seems to bring on a whole new set of problems I am not willing to address.

Now I was using Debian Woody when it came out and Mandrake 10.0 brought me back. And when Sarge came out I bought a cd set was labeled as 3.1 but was actually rc1 (unstable branch of Sarge). So I din't jump on it. But I monkeyed with it enough and have only one small glitch I can get around. And it works a hell of a lot better than 2006. I'm now looking forward to Etch coming out.

And some might not use it as a reason but I was a little cheesed to see the big brains at Mandriva sack the system's founder, Gael. This just reeks of when Mandrake tried to turn the company into an educational resource, or whatever. Loss of vision is my point. Though I'll still tout MDK for their hardware recognition I still think there are too many problems to ignore anymore and have given up again, and this time maybe permanently on Mandr....

I'm now looking forward to Etch coming out.
Why don't you give it a try right now? It is imho rockin' stable already. I haven't encountered even one problem in Etch/testing yet.;)

So far I had no problems with Mandriva 2007,it plays nice with my 2 sATA hdds, at least when I do a normal install (not from the Live-CD/DVD aka Mandriva One, because strangely IT has problems with my sATA :huh: ), but that was the same with Mandriva 2006, One never worked, standard installation worked fine, even the sATA-raid was recognized correctly.

For some problems with hardware just stopping to work, I would not blame Mandriva alone, the 2.6 Kernel is some sort of a constant construction site, you never know what will change with the next version, so the kernel-developers have to be blamed too for some of these inconveniencies.

I am starting to think that maybe you have a point there about the kernel being the source of the problem.

I remember I tried the 2.6.17 kernel from cooker before M2007 was near coming out and it just would not let the system boot up.

In fact I will install the kernel from the 2007 DVD and see if I get the same result.

Cheers. John.