Configuring KDM

SurfahBoy808

How do I configure KDM? I don't know if I'm blind, but I'm wondering why I don't see some kind of GUI manager to configure KDM. If there is none, I wonder why Mandriva didn't make one. I downloaded a few KDM themes from kde-look.org and I'd like to apply theme. I've been trying to find the path of the config file but have come up empty. Any help I would appreciate.

That's what I wrote, of course it's the same in Mandriva.

From the kde-look site:

How to install a KDM theme

# Download and unzip the theme archive.

# Put the theme folder in ~/.kde/share/apps/kdm/themes

# Edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

# Change or add the line Theme=~/.kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/"THEMENAME"

# Restart KDE

# Have fun! :-)

It's hard to believe but it looks like there's no gui for that.

ok, I figured it out. But it's different from the above instructions. First off, there is no directory /.kde/share/config/kdm

I went to /usr/share/mdk/dm that contains all the files for the login. I first backed up the files in there, then copied the files from this theme from kde-look.org

http://www.kde-look.org/help/index.php?type=40

restarted KDE and voila!

I don't know about the mandriva hacked KDE CC (and Im not starting a vmware session right now to check) but in the KDE CC (unhacked) is a theme manager where you just click install new theme and it lets you select a downloaded theme file

In the system administration tab is the same for the splash screen ..."KDM theme manager"

You need to use administrator mode but when you click on it it asks to install a theme...

I don't know if this menu is avaiable in mandriva though???

no where do I see a KDM theme manager. While, I can login to login manager as admin, how do I open up KDE CC as an admin?

I'm stoked, this config has lead me to use all the KDM themes that I've always been trying. This time with this cool theme.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=26718

I went to the /usr/share/mdk/dm that contains directory which contains all the files for the login. Except, this particular package is missing a KDM.theme file.

So open up an editor and create a new file that contains

[GdmGreeterTheme]
Description=LoveKDE KDM Theme
Encoding=UTF-8
Greeter=login-scan-fusion.xml
Name=login-scan 'fusion'
Screenshot=preview.png

Save the file as "KdmGreeterTheme.desktop"

Put that in the directory /usr/share/mdk/dm and restart KDE. Be sure to backup original files. Cheers!

First off, there is no directory /.kde/share/config/kdm

You were never told about such a directory, but rather about

~/.kde/share/config/kdm

~/ is your HOME base folder.

The dot before kde means a hidden directory.

If you still do not have this directory at your system, then you are likely running Gnome.

Goto control center/Appearance & Themes/Theme Manager

I don't see it. Where is it?

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~gmorales/where_is_it.jpg

First off, there is no directory /.kde/share/config/kdm

You were never told about such a directory, but rather about

~/.kde/share/config/kdm

~/ is your HOME base folder.

The dot before kde means a hidden directory.

If you still do not have this directory at your system, then you are likely running Gnome.

It doesn't matter, I don't need to have the "~/" in front because by default the shell is on my home folder already. It took me to the same place but there is no kdm directory in the config directory. And no, I'm not running Gnome.

It doesn't matter, I don't need to have the "~/" in front because by default the shell is on my home folder already. It took me to the same place but there is no kdm directory in the config directory. And no, I'm not running Gnome.

Yes it does because /.kde/share/config/kdm will take you to there regardless (if it existed) whereas .kde/share/config/kdm would take you to a hidden directory called .kde in your present directory.

However that will only install a new KDE theme, not a KDM theme

Whereas

http://linuxmigrations.hd.free.fr/kdtheme.png

Will install a kdm theme (I already clicked on administrator mode)

There is package called kdmtheme which is not installed in my machine so I think it's not installed by default.

Kdmtheme allow to change kdm theme

Kdmtheme allow to change theme in kdm when we used gdm theme

Maybe you just need to install it and it will be in the KDE CC.

Thinking of it how could KDM themes and kdmrc be in a normal users home dir? There is one mutual KDM theme and mutual KDM settings for everyone in one machine. It means IMHO there is one kdmrc per system and it should be in the /etc dir and one KDM themes dir somewhere in the /usr dir.