Why no pre-ordering for 9.1?

SoulSe

It amazes me that Mandrake are not taking pre-orders for MDK 9.1 box sets.

Maybe there is a good reason for it, but one would imagine that a company like Mandrake Soft would be anxious to get money in with all speed. Surely pre-orders of the next release is a great way to do this?

I, for one, would pre-order a box.

I think they only start taking orders when they know whats going to be in the distro/box set. At the moment its still in the RC stage, so exactly what gets shipped is still likely to change. I guess they'll start taking pre-orders when the basic distro is finished.

The Download version is still not finished yet, much less the boxed version. If the plan is true that Mandrake-Club members will get access to download version for a few weeks early, then I think the preorder will be available when the download version is available for the Mandrake Club.

Guest c_m_f

I read somewhere that 9.1 will be out be the 14th march (tommorrow) so is that likely? i would preorder now but seen as i cant im going to get it from a cheap cd site so i have it now, then buy it when its released (no broadband so no download, took a week with 9.0 3 cds on 56k)

Guest c_m_f
Product Packaging:

Boxed version including

2 CDs (2 Desktop Installation CDs with major commercial applications) + Quick Installation Guide (24 pages).

why is it onlt two cds? wgen the d/l is 3?

Edit: thats the standard package

If you read cooker, you would see that they have been tossing out programs like mad. The last cooker apparently took four CD's so they must have tossed out quite a bit. If this is the case, 9.1, in my pessimistic view, will turn into another bust. It just might be that the two morons under him have done it again, assuring him that the real problems lay elsewhere, like getting more orders through the the Club or the store. OTOH, maybe he made them dump what didn't work, but then that would mean that most of the in-house creations would need to go.

For a Sunday of interesting reading: http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker%40linux...x-mandrake.com/.

Counterspy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NSL1212

Speaking of pre-ordering, does anyone have any idea how much is the shipping charge(to Canada)? I am think of pre-ordering the CD-Only PowerPack to support Mandrake (I got my 8.1 from a cheapbtyes-like vendor), but cannot find any information at MandrakeStore.