Weird problem burning large files under k3b

ffrr

I tried to burn a data DVD with a one large mpg file on it. It was a 4.1 GB mpg file. K3b finished burning almost as soon as it began, far too soon for it to have worked. I found that mkisofs was rejecting the large file, so k3b was basically burning an empty DVD.

So, I split the file into two parts (using Krusader - just a binary file split). The first part was 2.1 GB, the second was 2 GB. I burned these two files to DVD successfully (as far as k3b was concerned) but when I try to read them back, the second file can only be read about halfway, then it errors out. (the first file is OK). I tried this data DVD under Windows as well, with the same problem, the second file cannot be fully read.

I burned that second file to another data DVD and that worked, and can be read back OK.

When I turned the first dvd over I noticed something strange. There was a band, towards the outside of the burned area, that looked like it had been skipped. It looks like a thin circle where no data has been written. I tried the same 2 files on a DVD+R/W, and the same problem occurred on it too, so it isn't a defective DVD or something like that.

So what have we here, some obscure limitation of k3b, mkisofs, data DVD's, or something else?

Edited by ffrr

I know iso 9660 had a 2GB file size limit. UDF had a 4GB file size limit IIRC. I thought both filesystem formats had been updated to get around these file size limits. When you burn the dvd, try going into the filesystem tab when the burn window pops up and tick the "Generate UDF structures" box and see if that helps.

Also, which versions of mandriva and k3b are you using? There are some reported problems with burning dvds in mdv 2007.

Edit:

Just experimented a bit with LE 2005 using k3b-0.11.20-7mdk. Can burn a 3.5 GB file in a data dvd using dvd-rw; can't burn any file over 4 GB. Checking the UDF box made no difference.

The filesystem is ext3, and I have many files much larger than 4 GB, 10GB being not uncommon.

I am running Mandriva 2006 btw.

Ticking 'Generate UDF', makes no difference, it still refuses to try to burn anything over 4GB. As I said, the error that says it is ignoring the file as too big, is coming from mkisofs.

As for the faulty burn when I split the file into 2 sections, I have discovered that is caused by having 'on the fly' ticked. Unticking this means it generates an image first, then burns that image. This works, so I can now burn the split file.

Of course, I'd much rather be able to burn it in one piece.

wouldn't it be easier if u would just download the latest version of k3b??

Have you any reason to believe that would fix it? K3B is just a front end for other programs, which includes mkisofs, which is what is the program actually causing the problem.

Could it be worth using growisofs manually? That may also provide some information on any errors.

Yep or just create a disk image ...and then burn DVD image?

Please read most posts above. I unticked 'on the fly', and that's exactly what that does. It creates an image, then burns it.

That doesn't help with the 4GB limit however, as you can't create an image with a file > 4GB for the same reasons you can't burn a DVD with a file > 4GB in it.

Could it be worth using growisofs manually? That may also provide some information on any errors.

No need, k3b provides detailed debugging output. Here is what it says...

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12

KDE Version: 3.4.2
QT Version:  3.3.4
Kernel:	  2.6.12-12mdk
Devices
-----------------------
DVDR/RW DD1601 15AF (/dev/hdc, ) at /mnt/cdrom [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]

mkisofs
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /mnt/data/video_keeping/1015_20061017193000.mpg is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 0
423 extents written (0 MB)

mkisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /home/fred/tmp/kde-fred/k3bBJSJ1b.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /home/fred/tmp/kde-fred/k3bKjWJRa.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /home/fred/tmp/kde-fred/k3bpQLT3b.tmp -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /home/fred/tmp/kde-fred/k3bvnbhra.tmp

/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /mnt/data/video_keeping/1015_20061017193000.mpg is too large - ignoring

I think that pretty much says it all; it's a file size limit, apparently 4GB, with mkisofs.

Here's another discussion of the same problem where a similar conclusion was reached:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums.../m/351004821831

Yep or just create a disk image ...and then burn DVD image?

Please read most posts above. I unticked 'on the fly', and that's exactly what that does. It creates an image, then burns it.

That doesn't help with the 4GB limit however, as you can't create an image with a file > 4GB for the same reasons you can't burn a DVD with a file > 4GB in it.

Don't try it then but its works for me for files >2GB and its entirely possibly it might fail at 4GB since I don't think I tried.

Its also extremely possibly its only when its a single file and that by making the MPG into more than one file each under 2GB would work.... and payback would be no different to a commercial dual layer DVD where it starts the second part with a tiny hickup.

Please read most posts above

I did but being rude won't fix this for you....still since you know exactly where this temporary file is located I don't need to give you any hints. ;)

I'm certainly not going to actually try it if you are going to be rude but you might consider that its being created in

tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

Don't try it then but its works for me for files >2GB and its entirely possibly it might fail at 4GB since I don't think I tried.

I did try it.

Its also extremely possibly its only when its a single file and that by making the MPG into more than one file each under 2GB would work.... and payback would be no different to a commercial dual layer DVD where it starts the second part with a tiny hickup.

Firstly it isn't a 2GB limit. 3GB files burn fine.

...and who said anything about playing it back? This is a data DVD. What if it was a large zip file? I just don't want to have split files unnecessarily, when the size is less than a normal single layer DVD.

Please read most posts above

I did but being rude won't fix this for you....

Not being rude, but you suggested I try something that I had already tried.

No need, k3b provides detailed debugging output. Here is what it says...

It's probably still worth a go IMO, it has always worked for me that way.

sorry i was under the impression you thought "unticking on the fly" was the same as creating an image.

File /mnt/data/video_keeping/1015_20061017193000.mpg

Sorry I assumed this was an MPG file, you can call your zip files anything you want but I just assumed this was a video file?

Not being rude, but you suggested I try something that I had already tried.
Once again I just saw you had unticked the on the fly box... I didn't realise you had chosen create image only. I can't see where you said you actually created an image in a specific location.

You might want to read up on the tmpfs filesystem

http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publis...SAL_Public.html

That's not specific to K3B but the default place for images wirtten with on the fly unticked is /tmp

Hence ticking OFF on the fly is NOT the same as creating a file in /home