HP zd7188cl and the 686/686-smp kernel

Right. So last week my Dapper install started acting really funny in that it would run for about an hour and then get R E A L L Y S L O W. It wouldn't crash and the system monitor showed the cpu idling at 1-2 percent with full memory available. The only way to fix the issue was to restart the whole thing, but an hour or so later it would start again.

So ... I thought that it might be the fault of Xgl/compiz, so I switched it off and uninstalled it and went back to Metacity. Didn't fix the issue.

So then I thought, well maybe its the NVIDIA driver, and I uninstalled that and went back to the nv driver. No dice.

Then I was thinking, well maybe my install is FUBAR from my kids yanking the power cord out of the wall, so I backed up my data, wiped the drive and started fresh. A clean dapper install ran like a champ ... ... until I installed the 686 kernel. After that the trouble started again. Dirty bass-masters.

So what's the deal? The 686 kernel ran fine for more than a year -- just recently have I had this problem.

Is this a sign of the immenent demise of my MOBO or some such? Have I angered the kernel gods?

BTW, I tried installing older versions of the 686 kernel, didn't help.

[moved from Laptops by spinynorman]