3 Red Hat 525 

4 Gentoo 429 

5 Debian 348 

6 Knoppix 332 

7 SuSE 272 

8 Slackware 246 

9 Lycoris 231 

10 Sorcerer

Yoper is getting a lot of attention (cus it's new). MDK still kicking ass though...

I really don't know whether or not fowl play was to blame. It does seem strange that such a strange distro would climb so quickly. That said, whenever a new distro is released it causes some excitement and everyone tries it out.

I have not tried Yoper, I like the approach they have taken and everything is compiled for i686, which is neat. But nothing is going to move me away from Mandrake just yet.

Guest JaseP

I like the idea of Yoper, a distro slimmed down to be lean and mean,... but those Aussies, sorry, New Zealanders are awefull full of themselves... perfect OS?!?!? It annoys me that they use the KDE release candidate rather than the KDE stable... but what the heck. I might try them out if Mandrake goes south with this whole re-org thing, but other than that, I'll take a wait and see attitude.

It's clear that they really want to marker themselves as a service more than a pure distro. It seems that this whole concept of "yoperizing" is going to be their bread and butter, and distro building will be a close second. Can't blam `em, I just would like to see a couple of things; 1) how committed they are to a standard Linux, 2) how commiteed they are to supporting newer hardware (like my KT333 chipset for example,... grrrr).

There have been some discussiions about how Yoper got threre on the first place, ( see note on distrowatch site ) suspicion of cheating was in the air. Should Mandrake claim the first place ?

care to post a link to that discussion?i cant seem to find this on distrowatch.com. thanks!

ciao!

I like the idea of Yoper, a distro slimmed down to be lean and mean,... but those Aussies, sorry, New Zealanders are awefull full of themselves... perfect OS?!?!?

Did Paul or i, or the other 4 milliion New Zealanders say it was a perfect OS?

or was it the people who created Yoper?.

Oh and i don't own any sheep either, nor do any of my neighboors.

I like the idea of Yoper, a distro slimmed down to be lean and mean,... but those Aussies, sorry, New Zealanders are awefull full of themselves... perfect OS?!?!?

Did Paul or i, or the other 4 milliion New Zealanders say it was a perfect OS?

or was it the people who created Yoper?.

Oh and i don't own any sheep either, nor do any of my neighboors.

:P I think it might be the Yoper website JaseP was reffering to...

Sorry, I can't say anything about New Zealenders after the Cricket World Cup. :cry:

I've tried it .. I liked it .. although it seemed to lack the maturity of other distros

I will support it !!! :P

I have sheep in the neibourhood !!! :P

No I don't sleep with the afore mentioned sheep :P

thats enuff from me before JaseP *Tang Soo Do*'s my a$$ :#:

Guest JaseP
thats enuff from me before JaseP *Tang Soo Do*'s my a$$ :#:

My reach of my kicks is pretty good, but not enought to get you across a continent and and ocean.

To Ramfree17:

From distrowatch 2003-03-13:

Some people find it hard to accept that Yoper has climbed to the top spot in page hit statistics, so let me go on record and say this: Yoper Limited has never requested, and never paid any money, to influence the page hit ranking statistics. All Yoper did was buy advertising space at normal rates and in line with normal advertising practices stated on this page. Give Yoper credit for recognising the opportunity that few others have been able to spot.

Having said that, Yoper's page hit ranking did call for investigation of log files to look for any unfair play. I did not find anything unusual - the page hits came from varied IP addresses and I did not spot any unusual activity or repeated and unwarranted page reloads. All indications are that Yoper's climb to the top position was the result of genuine visitor curiosity and nothing else.

Ironically, while pouring through log files, we did come across some suspicious activity regarding Gentoo page hits. Upon investigation, it has become clear that an individual from a well-known cartoon domain name has been mickeymousing with the Gentoo counter - repeatedly reloading the counter from various machines on their network at exactly the same mm:ss every hour, 24 hours a day. This generated 240 extra Gentoo hits per day (or around one third of total hits on the Gentoo page).

Now come on, folks! It's just a page hit ranking, it simply monitors how many times a distribution page gets viewed, nothing more! It's not meant to be taken seriously, which I've stated many times - to no avail.

So perhaps it's time to lay down some ground rules:

1. Repeated page and counter reloads in short or regular intervals are not allowed. If you are inclined to set up cron jobs to repeatedly wget your favourite distro's page counter, then please do yourself a favour and go to see a psychologist. You need help.

2. All suspicious page hit counts will be investigated and any regularly reloaded counts will be deducted from the total count (Gentoo's count will be adjusted as soon as we go through the log files to see how far back this has been going on).

3. The offender's entire C-class IP range will be permanently blocked from accessing the counter.

4. In future, the offender's IP address and domain name will be published.

5. The repeat offender's IP address will be banned from accessing all areas of DistroWatch, including mirrors, for a period of 30 days.

Any questions or comments? Please discuss here.