install cd's vs Main repositories

grendal

As I understand it, the "Main" repository has the same items that are on the install cd's. So what advantage is there to add that repository on a dial-up connection? Is this repository updated? Or can I just keep my cd sources, and add updates, contrib, plf, etc..

I have always added "Main" and removed my cd's, but now I'm thinking that I could save some "install/download" time by simply keeping the cd's and not adding "Main". Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the Main repository has more packages than are available on the CDs.

So I would keep Main as one of your urpmi sources.

If a new package that you want to install is available on the CDs and has not been updated, urpmi will prompt you to install it from the CD, thus you don't incur any additional download penalty.

I never use the CDs as a software resource once I have installed Mandriva. I only use the web-mirrors as I don't like to shuffle my CDs every now and then. Call me lazy. :)

Yes, the CDs and main have the same package-versions, but main has way, way, way more packages than the CDs can hold.

I never use the CDs as a software resource once I have installed Mandriva. I only use the web-mirrors as I don't like to shuffle my CDs every now and then. Call me lazy. :)

Yeah, I do the same. It's a pain to go searching for those CDs. But if I didn't have broadband access, it might be a different story. :D

I never use the CDs as a software resource once I have installed Mandriva

I copy the CD to the hard disk, at least then I have it and can install stuff if I don't happen to have an internet connection for a period of time ;)

Of course, anything not in here, will be pulled from main/contrib/updates, etc, anyhow. I got plenty of space on my machine anyway, so it's fine to copy the 2GB of stuff anyway.