How to banish twirly pointer graphic?

Guest pleiades12001

Guest pleiades12001

Hi.

I installed mandriva 2007 (came as free dvd with Linux Magazine) on a spare pc just to test it out. This is a celeron running at 800Mhz with 256Mb ram and onboard cyberblade graphics. This pc copes well with Mandriva 2005LE and Mandriva 2006.

What's irritating me is the twirly thing following the mouse pointer around. It doesn't display well and leaves trails behind it which obscure whatever is underneath it.

I'm using gnome desktop manager. I'm not prepared to install 2007 on my main pc until I can be sure this is just a problem caused by the mediocre graphics on this pc. Is there no way to get rid of the twirly thing?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Yes, that's what I looked at when I first came across the twirly back in the RC releases, but what I would really like, is not to change the cursor theme, but just keep the default cursor theme, and just get rid of old twirly, this I think would not be possible, well, at least without some major hackery type stuff, which is far out of my league. It's really no big deal, but if it could be done easily, I'd surely do it :)

Guest pleiades12001

Hi.

I changed the pointer theme in gnome. Pointer now refuses to move at all.

I'll try a graphics card in this pc and disable the onboard graphics.

I got conned when I bought Linux Magazine. They have given me a cooker version of Mandriva 2007. I'm hoping Linux Format will be giving us Mandriva 2007 sometime in the near future. That is definitely the last time I buy Linux Magazine.

The twirly thing is a pain. If I wanted pointless pointer pyrotechnics I'd install them myself.

Sue

• 1 year later...