Super Fast Icons, keyboard repeat, double [Solved]

tubasoldier

I just installed mandriva 2007 on my laptop. I had issues getting my video card working for my ATI Raedon 200M Express. I finally was able to get it working with the "ati" driver after trying the raedon driver and the vesa driver.

Now thats all fine and dandy and I thought that was the issue. I installed the proprietary ATI fglrx driver and restarted my xserver. Still I had super fast bouncing icons, super fast keyboard repeat and super fast double click. These are just a few symptoms I have noticed. While in init level 1 i was able to use my keyboard just fine. it functioned as it should. While in init level 3 i could not use my keyboard because of the crazy fast keyboard repeat problem.

I have searched google relentlessly looking for a fix to this issue. All I can find is how fast the distro is or how slow the distro is. I can not seem to find anyone else with this issue. I'm not sure what is causing it or why it is happening. If anyone has information on what may be causing this I would love to hear it. Anything helps because I am baffled. Although I do know that my graphics card is more than likely not the issue. Everything works well with other distros i have tried on this laptop.

Edit Update: I started shutting down services one by one and checking the system. No services were found to be the culprit.

Hardware specs:

Toshiba Satellite A101-105S

1.6 ghz processor

700 + mb ram.

ati raedon express 200M graphics card

Edited by tubasoldier

Sorry, I should have been more specific. In KDE the default icon notification is to have the icons bounce as they an application is opened. These are moving extremely fast. I have already slowed down the keyboard and mouse with the settings. However this does not actually fix the problem, it only addresses a symptom. I have never seen behavior like this before on any other distribution which is why I am so baffled. Thanks for the idea and information. I'll have a look at my BIOS to see if there is anything there.

I have just found another symptom. This may be more helpful in diagnosing this issue. My system clock passes one minuite in the time space of about 15 seconds. My system clock is screaming at 4x faster than it should be going. And my BIOS is very simple and there are no options in there that would affect anything.

Edited by tubasoldier

Good Idea. However, I already have Ubuntu running on this machine and it works fine. Ubuntu does not play friendly with CUPS however. I have Installed Suse and Fedora and they all run fine too. I just seem to have this issue with MDV 2007. I guess its just not meant to be on my laptop.

Thanks for the ideas and troubleshooting tips.

Good Idea. However, I already have Ubuntu running on this machine and it works fine. Ubuntu does not play friendly with CUPS however. I have Installed Suse and Fedora and they all run fine too. I just seem to have this issue with MDV 2007. I guess its just not meant to be on my laptop.

Thanks for the ideas and troubleshooting tips.

You could be right....

Sometimes its just not worth the effort and you obviously have some experience in other distro's...and mandriva users is quite happy to help you whichever one works for you...

Im with scooma though if you do want to sort it out ... try some alternative kernels ..

If you find that most are OK and your missing out then you can always see what changed in the .config file?

Hm. There's some timer issues within the kernels. Have you ever tried to use a different one? (multimedia or kernel-linus type from contrib repository?)

I had never thought about trying different kernels. After searching I have found a laptop-multimedia kernel. I'll give that a shot. Also, i removed acpi and acpid and that seemed to fix the issue. Now I cant use my laptop like a laptop. Anyways, I'll give that kernel a shot along with acpi and see what it does.