Gnucash 2.0.2

mystified

I won't bother with GnuCash 2.02 then. The only things I compile myself are things whose directory tree ends up residing in the home directory. (I have a directory under home called apps, and things I compile go under that directory.) Otherwise i would never get all the bits and pieces in the right places.

I would end up with the bits that had been installed from rpms in one place and things from a self compile in other places. I've got enough problems without causing more.

that's easy to do with just about any app during the ./configure step, just use --prefix, i.e.:

./configure --prefix=/home/you/apps

there are many more options available to configure which you may want to look into:

./configure --help

through there you can point it to different libs and what not that your system may not recognized (i.e. if you update gettext and put it in your apps folder you can tell gnucash to use it instead of your systems gettext)

I was more interested in doing it the other way around. Not putting it in /home/apps, but rather forcing the one I am compiling to put its bits and pieces in the same place they went when installing from the rpm.

I guess one would have to deinstall 2.01 and then compile 2.02 into /home/apps. Otherwise one would have the application twice.

I also doubt that it is worth the trouble for a .0x release, but it would be useful to know how to overlay what an rpm install had done when one is compiling oneself.

isnt /usr the default prefix? :huh:

It is

Not always. Most of the time /usr/local is the default (in my experience anyways). And in actuality, it should be, because it's the proper default:

Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software in /usr.
Reference

isnt /usr the default prefix? :huh:

It is

Not always. Most of the time /usr/local is the default (in my experience anyways). And in actuality, it should be, because it's the proper default:

Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software in /usr.
Reference

Oooops, my bad :D