Gnucash 2.0.2

mystified

For anyone who has not tried the newest version of gnucash I would strongly recommend it. It is a big improvement over the old version which still used gtk1. Gnucash will import .qif files so if you're hanging onto windows cause you like quicken or ms money I suggest you give gnucash a try. It's been out about two months I think so it should be in the Mandriva repos. If not compile it yourself. It's worth it. :)

But can gnucash do single accounting? That's what stopped me earlier.

And I'm using checkbook tracking (CBT). I think CBT is going downhill

(not enough users, update, etc) and looking to change again. I only need

very basic checkbook recordkeeping - no fancy accounting - and rather

not learn double accounting if I don't have to. If not gnucash, do you have

another recommendation (accounting software)?

Sheng-Chieh

I only need very basic checkbook recordkeeping - no fancy accounting - and rather not learn double accounting if I don't have to. If not gnucash, do you have another recommendation (accounting software)?

A spreadsheet, seriously. To do what you want to do, I would suggest using a spreadsheet, there's no point in going into too much effort over an accounts package if all you are going to do is monitor a chequebook/bank account.

I would go the other way start off basic with gnucash . Then as you find other accounts you want to track do so.

It is a really good program because it does the Recon for you and has extra's for later.

All double accounting is in and out..

Where did you spend it on and where did it come from.

So also later you can see all your utilities vs Entertainment.

You don't need to use all the accounts just start off with three.. (Your Income) (Your Cheque book) (Expense - Misc.)

You can move the entries later to other accounts, even the amounts or do a split so dont panic at the start..

I have many accounts the different taxes and deductions but at the end of the year want to do tax press a couple of buttons and it is all laid out for me..

I said to myself why would i need a stock market account (I now own part of a company) so i ended up needing to track that as well.

It also makes you more aware of where and what you are spending money on..

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend anyone using an accounts package, if they really didn't need it. To track one to say ten accounts, a spreadsheet is best. GnuCash isn't very user friendly at the moment, it takes an awful lot of setting up and does require knowledge of double-entry book-keeping, and with many accounting matters, a knowledge of your local GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). There is some concern in the profession over non-accounting professionals using accounting software, being personal or not. There is a great deal of scope for the inexperienced to simply replace their accountant/consultant, hey we don't go through a rigourous training programme and 3 years of exams, with the last year at masters level for nothing.

I would certainly not encourage anyone applying UK GAAP to their accounts to use GnuCash as it stands for reporting, It just wont happen, you would really need to draw up final accounts yourself from the trial balance as the existing Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Account, and Cash Flow statements can not be easily customised. I have tried in vain for the last week to get the chart of accounts edited such that the statements could resemble their UK counterparts, but to me this is a fundamentally wrong as the report should be configured based on the chart of accounts, and not the other way round.

Meh, my life is dominated by spreadsheets :huh: especially those of the Excel variety.......

I'm sorry.

Did you know that when an MS employee/programmer/etc. isn't up to snuff they put him/her on the Excel team?

:lol2:

By the way, how did you get 2.02? Mandriva 2.07 ships with GnuCash 2.01.

I use Gentoo on my desktop which is where I do all my personal stuff. My laptop has Mandriva and it's for school.

And I also use Gnucash for a simple check register and it works great.