Connecting two Fedora pcs with one crossover cable

Hi,

first of all, i m sorry that i have already posted one similar thread which i can't seem to be able to delete. can any one please tell me as how to delete a thread if its irrelevant.

i have two pcs both having fedora core 5 linux. both are single boot systems ie only linux on them no windows. none of them is gonna be connected to the internet. so this is just a small home network. only the 2 pcs talking to each other only. no more pcs are gonna be added to this network as well. i have one crossover cable to connect these 2 pcs. don't have a router/switch. i want to share files between them. how do i do so? need to use nfs? struggling to get hold of any decent tutorials/step by step guides- on the net particularly with regard to fedora 5. please guide me. thanks.

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

Really simply

1) Make sure the two PC's have static IP's set in the same subnet (even though your not connected its good practice to use non routable (10.0.x.x, 172.x.x.x ot 192.x.x.x) )

2) Install NFS server (there is a client package and a server package - I'd set one up first as a server)

3) you also want nfs-client or nfs-common and portmap running)

4) Make a line in /etc/exports

/media/sda1/ *(rw,no_root_squash,insecure,insecure_locks,no_subtree_check,async,

nohide)

(change /media/sda1 for whatever... it can be / if you have no security worries)

5) start portmap, nfs-common, nfs-server on the "server"

6) start portmap, nfs-client on the "client"

7) showmount -a <ipaddofserver> should see this share...

8) Mount x.x.x.x:/media/sda1 /mnt/<directory> should then work and /mnt/directory should then be whatever you shared.

first of all, i m sorry that i have already posted one similar thread which i can't seem to be able to delete. can any one please tell me as how to delete a thread if its irrelevant.

I presume you're referring to Linux to Linux Networking. :unsure:

Several members have contributed useful information to that thread, so I don't think it would be a good idea to delete it. I'll close it and direct readers to this topic. :)