Can't See HDD

michaelc

I just got a new WD Caviar 80 gig hard drive and installed it as primary slave. I did this so I could dual boot Vista and Mandriva, but wierd things happenin'.

I'm trying to format the disk with NTFS, but I can't find it in "Devices", or /mnt. When I boot from the Vista disk, it sees the 80 gig as somewhere I can install windows. But...when I click "format disk", it does its thing, then I click "install" and it says it doesn't fit requirements..

I don't need help with the can't meet requirements, but do you guys know why I can't see my new hard drive?

This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/TRAVELDRIVE vfat pamconsole,exec,noauto,noatime,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0

Also, I was wondering if I could move everything in "/" to my new hard drive and use the old one for vista, since its smaller.

A primary slave drive should be /dev/hdb1

I do not see anything like that in your fstab.

And I wouldn't trust Vista for anything (other than fooking my working box).

Since you use them, you are obviously a Microsoft beta tester- isn't it a good idea to submit your issues with it to the Microshaft flyspray?

Edited by scarecrow

A primary slave drive should be /dev/hdb1

I do not see anything like that in your fstab.

And I wouldn't trust Vista for anything (other than fooking my working box).

Since you use them, you are obviously a Microsoft beta tester- isn't it a good idea to submit your issues with it to the Microshaft flyspray?

Yes...obviously I am.. :twisted:

No, I am really not. Is there anything I can do to solve this? Maybe install it as secondary slave or something else?

Is your new drive a SATA II Hard drive ???.

If it is then maybe you need to set it so it (the drive) acts as a Normal SATA drive because Mainboards, other than the latest cannot handle SATA II. The fact that Windows sees the drive really doesn't mean much.

It could also be that the bios has a setting that needs to be set to enable SATA. I think this is the most likely reason.

Cheers. John.

It sounds mysterious unless as John says its a SATA issue?

How does the BIOS see it when you boot?

you could also try (just to see) from a root console

cfdisk /dev/hdb

also have a look in /var/log/messages and see if it says anything? post anything relevant looking

Im also wondering if Vista install "really sees it" ... or not.. hard to say I guess without trying

How about trying a liveCD (preferably not Mandriva based to eliminate the issue of the mandy kernel)

and see what it can see....

I'd try kanotix (because I use it) but also it has qtparted built into the OS...

You might have some luck by actually creating a filesystem on it and then trying mandy again?

There's nothing really mysterious about this from a linux point of view. If you installed the new drive after your linux install, it won't be automatically set up in linux. You have to configure the new drive. Per paul's above post, open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# fdisk -l

and post the output here. That info is needed to properly setup the new drive.

However, your windows install problem is something you need to explore in a windows forum. Vista may not like the configuration of the drive for any number of reasons and those more familiar with vista's quirks are in a better position to help you.

There's nothing really mysterious about this from a linux point of view. If you installed the new drive after your linux install, it won't be automatically set up in linux.

Yes but the udev should create a /dev/hdb in startup anyway ...prior to it having a filesystem and give it a /dev entry otherwise fdisk wouldn't have a device to assign

(what I mean is you'd type fdisk /dev/hdb but if hdb doesn't exist ???)

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *		   1		 764	 6136798+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2			 765		4865	32941282+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5			 765		 904	 1124518+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda6			 905		4865	31816701   83  Linux

Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdb1   *		   1		9730	78149720	7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sda: 1031 MB, 1031798784 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 3936 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

/dev/sda1   *		   1		3936	 1007600	e  W95 FAT16 (LBA

That's so I can install vista on it.

Would everything still work if I copied everything in / to my new hard drive and install vista on the old one?

You would want to change the filesystem first since NTFS support is a little shaky and certainly not optimal under linux.

On top of this you would need to change the entries in GRUB or LILO ...(basically telling it that the root is /dev/hdb1)

If I were going to do this move then I'd probably recreate the same partitions and copy everything first (you need to preserve permissions and symlinks in the copy)

There are a couple of ways of doing this. You can make a direct disk copy bit by bit with dd or use partimage or you can use tar with a

tar cfv - . | (cd /new/dir; tar xfv -)

Once its working then ADD (not replace) the boot menus ... i.e. make it so you can boot from either and it should be exactly the same ... so if anything goes wrong you can boot back to your original setup ...

Once your happy and satisfied you boot into /dev/hdb1 and wipe /dev/hda1 and replace the filesystem.