Gnome, Glade & Confusion

I have been trying to do some programming. I tried anjuta only to find that it doesn't seem to want to deal with glade and help does not work. Then I dropped back to glade itself and tried that and the help does not work. Its obvious to me that I do not have a clue. I am spinning my wheels trying to find documentation and I can only find online documentation and nothing for any programs (for some strange reason I can't seem to get help to work). I can, I guess, go with online and switch back and forth but I am sure that I must be doing something wrong (due to ignorance I think).

I can only assume that Glade, for instance, is properly installed as it comes right up and one can do things (except see the help file). Can ANYBODY tell me where I am going wrong here?

It would also be nice if anjuta actually worked but, when I try and do a tutorial, or even read the documentation, nothing seems to match up (when it says, for instance, "and this will start glade" and then nothing happens. I suspect that all of my problems are going to boil down to a setup issue but, for the life of me, I cannot seem to find solutions!

I am, incidentally, coming from windows and have been messing with computers for a long time and, so, have some small knowledge of how they are supposed to work.

Hi jgw,

which environment are you using ATM? Did you change it to GNOME? When stuck with anjuta, it would be good to give some more detailed feedback/error messages etc. in order to help you. Are you using the (stable) version 1.2.4 (would recommend that)? Is it properly installed?

I did a clean (new partitions, reformat, etc) install of 2007 and chose GNOME as the desktop. I tried and that really failed. I am now running with, I believe (on a different machine right now) 2.02 which mandriva had on its list and installed. I am also now trying to run with glade3 and have been told that I should re-compile anjuta with glade3 if I want to do that. I am going to make a run at that in the next couple of days.

Thank you very much for the reply.