What helps more?

Guest SuGa

well becoming a member gives them more money in the hand right now, buying a boxed set gives them less but if more people buy boxed sets retailers will buy more off mandrake. also boxed sets in stores means the product is more visible to the public.

Club membership puts money direct in their pockets, with relatively little overheads. It gives you access to commercial apps (eg StarOffice, Flash, Real Player) nicely compiled. As well forums, voting, store discounts, etc...

Box sets gives Mandrake less money. While you get some commercial apps, documentation, technical support and some pretty CDs.

Personnally I'd go for the Club membership. I think overall it represents better value for money for you

I still believe that the boxed sets form a retailer are more important in the long run. Mandrakesoft must get those packages out where the public can see them before they develop market momentum. If you look at the Linux news stories since January, you will not see much about Mandraksoft. This is not a good thing when only their release candidates make news. Only Linux users read Linux news so this makes it worse. People need to think Mandrake along side or trailing slightly behind Redhat. I know that's a tall order but even their Walmart deal is not discussed. Make your local retailer order 9.1 for you. That is one small step for Mandrake....

Counterspy

Counterspy has it right. Long term cash sales via retail will lead to success; short term cash only leads to the next begging session.

It seems like we have this subject posted at least once a week and we still get a preponderance of posters supporting the club over retail sales. Joining the club may make you feel better, but it does nothing to secure a long term future. The last time I looked they had ony a few corporate members which should tell you something about the appeal of the club to business.

I would really like to hear from the new CEO who by now has plenty of time to scope out the situation. Perhaps someone from France can see if the bankruptcy court records are on the web and put them here in translation. We are totally in the dark as to the progress of Mandrakesoft in recovering from bankruptcy.

In my short dalliance with Redhat, I was surprised by the fact that they packaged far more KDE apps and toys than Mandrakesoft, despite the criticism they received for "butchering" KDE. True, their dialogue boxes looked like Gnome to some extent but I was able to make my desktop look much as it does now under Mandrake 9.0. I tossed it because it didn't fix any of the things that didn't work in Mandrake and they seemed to have twice as many bugfixes and security problems than Mandrake. It's really not an issue, since I can't go out and find their distros either.

Marketing, marketing, marketing must be Mandrakesoft's mantra even if they have limited funds to carry it out. Without retail sales, they're down the tubes, Club and all.

Counterspy

Buying box sets is all good and well if you live in a country where the shops sell them. Where I'm from, there are no shops stocking it.

I am contemplating purchasing 9.1 on the net when it is released, but import duties can sometimes be ridiculously high. In this situation, a club membership makes more sense.

import duties aside ... I've not had any problems buy from mandrakestore

even last time when people were complaining about service .. I ordered my boxed set, and it arrived 5 days later (in NZ !!! thats about as far away from france as you can get !!!)

I just wanted to ask what helps MandrakeSoft more:

- Buying the retail package

- Getting a MandrakeClub member?

I guess that would depend upon which MandrakeClub member you got, and what you did with them :) ---- Hey... I've been biting my tongue for days, making sure real replies showed up first...

import duties aside ... I've not had any problems buy from mandrakestore

even last time when people were complaining about service .. I ordered my boxed set, and it arrived 5 days later (in NZ !!! thats about as far away from france as you can get !!!)

In that case, I would definately consider ordering. NZ is much further away from France then South Africa... unless my Geography fails me... which it often does.

I think it may be better to buy, but I want things quick and just use the download distro.

But I have to mention: because of me spreading the download distro, 3 others became members, which is something to be taken into account.

The pack you are not allowed to copy I think, due to some proprietary stuff.

I may pick one up, if/once it includes the newer staroffice (I know, OOo is basically the same.. I would like to have the thesaurus etc), or upgrade to silver member so I can dl it.

Also, in most cases it's one or the other: dl and Club, vs buy pack. I may do both but hey, I'm in Switzerland on a high salary....

There's often too much against waiting for the pack, so then you dl anyway...

Before it's here in stores, mdk9.2 will be very much under way I fear..

Question: if you buy a pack, are you then automatically a Club Member???

Also, in most cases it's one or the other: dl and Club, vs buy pack. I may do both but hey, I'm in Switzerland on a high salary....

There's often too much against waiting for the pack, so then you dl anyway...

Before it's here in stores, mdk9.2 will be very much under way I fear..

That is why I would buy a normal pack instead of a Powerpack. It is sooo cheap, even for a broke ass dude who lives in Africa, like me. The powerpack, on the other hand, seems a bit expensive for something I will want to replace with an upgraded one six months later.

Why wait for it to hit the stores when you can buy it immediately from mandrakestore anyway?