Trying to install 2007 Free DVD/CD [solved]

tshizzle

While Im no linux-n00b, its been about a year-year and a half since I installed/used linux. Ive always been a Mandrake user since Drake 6.0, so of course after seeing the XGL desktops, I had to go grab Mandriva 2007.

Ive tried both the Free DVD version and CD version from the Mandrake FTP. I either get a blank screen (with LCD saying out of range on it) , or I get a screen that looks like its trying to load something into memory (see below):

linuxscreen.jpg

What could be the issue here? My system is pretty straightforward, and nothing extremely new (Intel Mobo, p4 3.2ghz, 1gb DDR 3200, 2 IDE HDDs, Creative Soundcard, Nvidia 6800 AGP Card)

Also, is there no longer a nice pretty GUI install or am I just not getting far enough to see it? Please advise and thanks!

There is a nice pretty gui install. Unfortunately, I cannot see enough of the error screen to help you. Are you installing with switches? Or are you just starting with the default install? Do you have more than one cd device? Perhaps the drive is causing the errors.

Would you say exactly what you are doing?

sorry yea

This is the very first screen after booting to the CD/DVD. The top part of the screen is the instructions for: "type either, "text", or "linux", etc and press enter to install" , but the actual prompt to type in never comes up as I just get to the screen in my image above and it freezes.

And half the time the screen just flashes Out of Sync before even getting this far

Don't you get the first initial menu before choosing install, etc?

No, this is the VERY first screen - computer Posts, reads DVD drive, first screen pops up, locked.

all I can get is that screen I showed above - i never get a prompt so I can type "linux" or "text" and get to an install screen - it freezes everytime on

Initializing gfx code

static memory

malloc 0

malloc 1

malloc 2

malloc 3

now its frozen and cant type anything or get to an actual install screen

It looks to me that it has done something. Since the initial screen in 2007 is a bootloader like lilo. I can see options, F1, F2 and F3. So it seems something has been pressed and it has started to do something.

Or at least this is how it looks from the quarter screenshot you've provided. Need a full screenshot to go any further, but it definitely is trying to boot the installer, than give you the menu options.

It looks to me that it has done something. Since the initial screen in 2007 is a bootloader like lilo. I can see options, F1, F2 and F3. So it seems something has been pressed and it has started to do something.

Or at least this is how it looks from the quarter screenshot you've provided. Need a full screenshot to go any further, but it definitely is trying to boot the installer, than give you the menu options.

yea the options are there, but it never makes it to a command prompt to actually enter a command or press a F1, F2, etc. That screen with the memory loading stuff, thats just the bottom of the initial screen at boot. I assume it loads the stuff into memory, and then i would get a prompt to type linux or text or whatever. i just cant get it to that point :(

As far as I'm aware (have to boot from the CD to test it), but you should be able to press F1 at the boot loader screen, and type the various options like:

linux noapic nolapic

etc before you even attempt to load something. These options need to be typed before you load anything, else you're just loading the default functionality - of which you have a problem with. You don't start to load something, and then type the options later - just won't work.

why does everyone seem confused?

the VERY FIRST screen when booting from the CD/DVD is frozen. theres no prompt, theres no loading anything, theres no way to hit f1 , etc. this is the VERY FIRST screen - reboot computer, posts, looks for DVD, loads DVD, says Mandriva Linux.... never gets any further, just locks up as its

Initializing gfx code

static memory

malloc 0

malloc 1

malloc 2

malloc 3

What in my PC could be causing it to not even run the installer? Its not a bad burn, Ive downloaded 2 DVDs, 1 from FTP, 1 from torrent, both MD5 perfect, and I downloaded the CD. All 3 same results, freezes on FIRST screen - theres never any input from me becuase it doesnt get that far. I never get a prompt, never select anything, never hit next, never enter a command, etc. its frozen on the first screeen

I think we are all suprised by what happens to you.

This may sound daft, did you try the cd on another pc (preferably

with a different cd reader), and did you try with another brend of cd

at a lower burnt speed. Did you clean the cd?

That gone out of the way we can think of something else, especially if you have done all that already

Also you can try to disable in the bios as much as you can

(ethernet card, audio card etc.) and see if you go further in the boot.

I do not think you have a bad ram, do you?

Because you provided the screenshot which shows it going into the bootloader.... but you maintain it isn't.

gfx isn't trying to load itself, the bootloader is...

etc. this is the VERY FIRST screen - reboot computer, posts, looks for DVD, loads DVD, says Mandriva Linux.... never gets any further, just locks up as its

Initializing gfx code

but your screenshot plainly shows that you are in the bootloader .....????

What seems to be happening is the default boot options are automatically being taken ... which is to load the gfx splash screen....

Im downloading a 2007 .iso in order to check but I expect you can interupt the default (which is the gfx boot screen) and instead it will fallback to text....

Try TAB or ESC etc.

Because you provided the screenshot which shows it going into the bootloader.... but you maintain it isn't.

gfx isn't trying to load itself, the bootloader is...

etc. this is the VERY FIRST screen - reboot computer, posts, looks for DVD, loads DVD, says Mandriva Linux.... never gets any further, just locks up as its

Initializing gfx code

but your screenshot plainly shows that you are in the bootloader .....????

What seems to be happening is the default boot options are automatically being taken ... which is to load the gfx splash screen....

Im downloading a 2007 .iso in order to check but I expect you can interupt the default (which is the gfx boot screen) and instead it will fallback to text....

Try TAB or ESC etc.

that screen comes up almost instantly, computer posts, dvd reads, bam screen like above - ill take a picture tonite when I get home of the whole screen, I thought zooming on the lines of code where its freezing would have been helpful.

thanks guys, I just wanan get some linux action again =)

I think we are all suprised by what happens to you.

This may sound daft, did you try the cd on another pc (preferably

with a different cd reader), and did you try with another brend of cd

at a lower burnt speed. Did you clean the cd?

That gone out of the way we can think of something else, especially if you have done all that already

Also you can try to disable in the bios as much as you can

(ethernet card, audio card etc.) and see if you go further in the boot.

I do not think you have a bad ram, do you?

I didnt try it in another PC, but I tried using both of my optical drives as the bootup drive and same results. also it reads just fine in windows and i've burnt MANY .isos , and when burning with Nero I even did verify and whatnot