LinDVD Drive Assignment

crispus

Hi all,

I've just installed the discovery version of Mandriva 2007 that includes the commercial packages including LinDVD. I've seen the posts where people are claiming it is working right out of the box (so to speak).

However, for me, LinDVD appears to have incorrectly assigned my DVD drive.

In my fstab my DVD burner (hdc) is mounted at /mnt/dvd and my cdrom burner (hdd) is mounted at /mnt/cdrom

However, LinDVD indicates that it is trying to use /mnt/cdrom (it may even say cdrom2 as I can't see all the words). Unlike what I would expect from a linux program, I can't find any file or option to change this. The only directory in my /home directory for LinDVD has a directory tree that looks like a Windows reg file.

Any suggestions?

-Crispus

AMD 2800xp

Asus A7N8X

Nvidia GF4 mx440

1x Max 160 gig

1x WD 120 gig

1024 gb ddr

Please post your fstab file and the exact error message. If LinDVD is looking at /mnt/cdrom2 and there is no way to alter this behavior, you can always create a symbolic link to /mnt/dvd by running the following as root:

# ln -s /mnt/dvd /mnt/cdrom2

However, all the other dvd players I've used want the device file for the dvd drive(/dev/dvd), not the mount point. /dev/dvd is just another symbolic link to the real device file, in your case /dev/hdc. You can usually create the needed links in /dev to get around these types of problems if that's what's going on but you need to get the error messages to be sure.

Here is my fstab:

[18:23:56][andrew@solitaire][~]$ cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hdb5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdb7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb2 /mnt/backup vfat umask=0,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/download vfat umask=0,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/dvd auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=utf8,sync 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/shared vfat umask=0,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb6 swap swap defaults 0 0

For LinDVD, under properties, the DVD Drive is listed as /mnt/cdrom. The m in cdrom is partially obstructed so I can't confirm whether it says cdrom or cdrom1 or cdrom2 etc. There is no option to change it.

If I assume that it says /mnt/cdrom I suppose I could change my fstab for /dev/hdc to point to /mnt/cdrom and /dev/hdd to point to /mnt/cdrom2 but this would affect any other associations I've already setup for those devices.

Regards,

Crispus