ASUS A7V333 MB compatibility

Guest klampke

Guest klampke

Downloaded Mandrake 9.0 CD1 ISO and verified the Checksum.

Installed directly from the ISO on my HD (no CD burning!) to another HD on my Computer.

Install freezes the computer on one of the RPM packages, preventing further progress. Must reboot!

The motherboard is NOT listed in the Mandrake Hardware Compatibility site. Is there a motherboard issue here? IT IS THE A7V333 MB that I have, not the A7V133! :cry::cry::cry:

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked on the ASUS home page, but I could not find your board - seems to be brand new. The board name gives me the idea that it could be a multiprocessor board? Then perhaps you need a different Linux kernel.

Perhaps you could try either to "unpack" the ISO image to "normal" files, or you could download all 3 images and "unpack" them.

During installation, there is a point where you are asked if you have one, two or 3 CDs - did you enter the right answer (one CD only)?

I have an Asus P4B533-V. I downloaded all 3 ISO images and "unpacked" all 3, the installation went without problems.

If all this does not help: pls describe your installation process in detail.

Good luck!

Guest tmservo433

In regards to the Asus board, here's what I've discovered.. due to a kernel issue, a lot of the new revs (Mandrake 9.0, SuSe 8.1, and a few others I've tried) will not install properly on a KT333CE chipset board. You will run into incredible USB 2.0 errors, loss of keyboard, failure to complete install, etc.

I've raised this issue in forums for Mandrake, RH8, SuSe, and others, and have pretty much received the same answer: whoops! Works with KT266 chipset.. but not at all with KT333 (and probably not with KT400) at issue is the southbridge is altered enough to complicate matters.

Oh, and FYI:

I have an Asus P4B533-V. I downloaded all 3 ISO images and "unpacked" all 3, the installation went without problems.

The Asus P4B533 is totally unaffected (different chipset) at issue is only the Via AMD chipsets at the moment (KT333) unless the Via PX400 P4 chipset is also effected (no way to test that theory at the moment)

Guest tmservo433

Who knows, from reading lists, it's not even just the KT333 (which is OK and supported) it's just the KT333CE chipset, the newer revision of it, which causes it to mis-identify and cause the foul ups.

So, you can always hold out hope!

• 2 weeks later...
In regards to the Asus board, here's what I've discovered.. due to a kernel issue, a lot of the new revs (Mandrake 9.0, SuSe 8.1, and a few others I've tried) will not install properly on a KT333CE chipset board.  You will run into incredible USB 2.0 errors, loss of keyboard, failure to complete install, etc.

Tried jumpering out USB2.0 support on the board itself?

Hi,

jumpering out something will not solve the problem.

There is a general problem with linux and some chipsets.

Before two years the hardware support was much less

then today. On most computers it works, unless kernel 2.3.

makra

Just for your info:

I have an A7V333 (one of the first, bought in early March) and it works fine, apart from that I have some minor problem with lm_sensors (I get only the cpu temp, not the fanspeeds, working on that).

Everything else, including the printer (epson 740) via usb is working fine, (oh, I didn't get my scanner to work, but the remedy should be to install the xsane packages from the web, instead of the mdk xsane package that 9.0 comes with), so no real problems with my board.

Give it a try, maybe you get lucky.

Oh btw, make sure you have set all options in the bios to safe ones, no overclocking, no other weird stuff, etcetc.

Oh btw, make sure you have set all options in the bios to safe ones, no overclocking, no other weird stuff, etcetc.

*LOL* I got the board for the RAID and 0c options ;-)

running 1800+ Xp @ 9x190 (yes, mem on 380!).

Anyway, this is my funbox, so I'm working with gentoo. If only there weren't so many promise with onboard RAID :-(