Using infrared with mobile phones

neddie

I can't remember if this has been discussed here before, but I was curious about transferring stuff to/from a mobile phone via infrared. I looked at it a while ago, and got as far as a message appearing in a log file that the device was recognised, but that was about it. Using my "other" operating system it was a simple send/receive operation.

That time I was trying to get photos from the camera into the computer, but recently I also wanted to transfer an mp3 (made in Audacity) over to the phone to use as an SMS tone. Again, with my other OS I could just right-click on the file and send it to the phone.

So I'm curious - is there special software for this kind of thing, and if so, is it phone model-specific or just some general file transfer utility which would work with any phone? Or is there a way to set it up as a simple network device, so it would appear in the file system in the same way that a removable USB device appears? Any hints?

I'm not sure whether it matters or not, that's why I'm asking. Does each phone handle it differently?

So far I've tried with a Sony Ericsson (can't remember model#) and a Nokia 6233. Both were dead easy (without install or anything) on my 2nd OS, which made me think it was something generic.

it may be generic or there may be specifics. i'm not really 100% sure, but i figured it could be useful at least for google searching ;)

this page may prove useful, though it doesn't mention the 6233 specifically (the more generic 6230 is listed - not sure if these are considered the same model or not).

I'm not sure whether it matters or not, that's why I'm asking. Does each phone handle it differently?

So far I've tried with a Sony Ericsson (can't remember model#) and a Nokia 6233. Both were dead easy (without install or anything) on my 2nd OS, which made me think it was something generic.

I guess it depends on the phone but IR should work as a serial device...

I use bluetooth myself and just copy/paste from konqueror using sdp:/