Backing off of 2007

RVDowning

Unfortunately I've had too many problems with 2007 and have to restore to 2006.

The version of gnumeric that ships with 2007 was a development version in which a couple of things are broken. For example the indirect function is broken as well as the ability to right click on a graph and save it as a different image type. A developer in the #gnumeric chat room didn't understand how that version had gotten into the mandriva 2007 final since it was still in development.

I use camstream to handle the image snapshot and ftp for three different usb 2.0 webcams. Camstream won't compile. Seems to be a qt3 issue.

There are annoying problems with the taskbar. The only way I can get the taskbar to disappear is to move the mouse cursor over another window's title bar or off the screen to the extreme left, right or top. When raising this issue in the #mandriva chat room I was told that this behaviour had been seen in kubuntu, but he hadn't seen it before in Mandriva. On occasion the taskbar will disappear and one can't make it appear again. One ends up having to right click on the desktop to get into the kde control center and drill down to the taskbar stuff, and then change and restore various settings at random untill the taskbar appears again.

The ony thing that seems to be of interest in this release is the new 3d stuff. It kind of reminds me of when American cars started shipping with a female voice that indicated that the "door was ajar." It was cute for the first 20 seconds, and then everyone disabled the feature.

For those who prefer functionality to fluff, it seems to me that the only advantage of 2007 is a bit faster boot time.

Not meaning to rain on anybody's parade, but my point is that if one experiences problems wiith the 2007 install, there really isn't a lot of reason to stay with the release. One can always install later when some of these issues are resolved.

...cute for the first 20 seconds, and then everyone disabled the feature.
That's what I thought I'd think, too, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Two differences - I'm upgrading from 2005, not 2006, so there are more differences in the applications to see - improvements to Gimp, and Digikam, and Hugin for example so I'm happy. Secondly, I don't use the apps you mentioned, camstream and gnumeric, and I haven't tried to make my taskbar disappear, so I haven't seen the issues you've seen!

I expected problems / issues with the upgrade, there are bound to be, but I've now got almost all of them resolved so for me the upgrade was well worth it! :thumbs:

The ony thing that seems to be of interest in this release is the new 3d stuff.
I actually use XGL as my main X environment on my Linux box, and it comes with a lot of useful features IMHO. Things like the desktop switcher, dragging windows from one desktop to the next as you switch, bending/pealing maximized windows to reveal what's behind them (sorta like turning a page). There are obviously some features that are pure eye-candy, but there's useful ones too. As I've said before, I never really used virtual desktops until XGL because it made them so damn convenient (and perty too :P ).

I always use 6 virtual desktops: DT1: Browser/im/gkrellm/xmms, DT2: cam previews, DT3: development environment, DT4: filemanager stuff, and gftp, DT5: various spreadsheets that I am always in, DT6 Misc, namely Azureus, Mondo/Mindi backups, etc.

Each of these is double wide because of a dual monitor setup. I find that the virtual desktop icon on the taskbar has all the functionality II need.

One of the reasons for using so many virtual desktops is to keep maximized windows from being on top of each other, and also from cluttering up the taskbar.

Another damaged functionality in 2007 is the shift/scroll-mouse-wheel, which in 2006 would cause the font size of the operative window to increase/decrease. At least this worked in KDE. There seems to be an issue with this functionality with the new KDE, which I confirmed in #kde.

how much extra computational power does this require to run the 3d desktopping? i do a lot of computation all day long for research and don't want extra resources being pulled unnecessarily. i too run the 6 virtual desktops. so far, this is meeting my requirements for what i do and how many applications i keep open.

Guest AlgorithMan

I'm backing off, too. my two main reasons are:

1. cd's aren't auromatically mounted unless you choose to open them in konqueror in the dialog

2. urpmi (and rpmdrake) always crashes on my system... I can't install new software and I also

can't update existing software... this is a total dealbreaker!

also there are some minor annoyances like kopete, which always re-activates the formatting

toolbar in jabber and irc windows (and it's poorly translated, too - in german this toolbar is called

"format of the toolbar" retranslated...)

I guess I'll switch back to 2006... but I'll give Fedora a try first...

Noticed another issue at lunchtime. palantir won't compile. Get the error "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg". (This actually refers to libjpeg.so)

Also, when putting in a cd/dvd one gets a popup, giving one the opportunity to have the cd/dvd mounted. If one chooses that option, and then using kongueror tries to navigate to that cd/dvd, ie /mnt/cdrom each time one clicks on a directory it takes between a half minute and a minute before the click takes affect and there is a response on the screen. So trying to navigate the cd/dvd is torturous. Every mouse click takes appx. a minute.

Edited by RVDowning

Noticed another issue at lunchtime. palantir won't compile. Get the error "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg". (This actually refers to libjpeg.so)
This is obviously a missing switch in the ld program. Either the program you're trying to compile was meant to be built against an outdated libjpeg that had this switch - given that palantir's last update appears to be from last year, I would guess that is most likely the problem. Or, you don't have the proper devel package installed :)

About the CD, I had problems accessing /mnt/cdrom but that was because there was no entry in fstab for it - the contents appeared under /mnt/NAMEOFCD instead. I went into mcc and set up the mount point for /mnt/cdrom and now it seems happy - with no half-minute waits between clicks. CD isn't automounted at boot though, I need to investigate that sometime.

About the ljpeg, I don't know why you think this is a program switch, tyme?? :unsure: Sounds to me like the compiler simply can't find the .so code. Maybe it's moved since 2006 - have you done a ./configure to make sure all the references are up-to-date?