num lock key

bigjohn

When you;

cd ~/.kde/Autostart

vim numlock.sh

you are ready to write the file and quite (wq).

When you select to view hidden filles in konqueror as a user you will still only be able to see what root wants you to see. You need to see the .kde in your own home dir so that shouldn't be a prob. You can also open you home dir and in the address bar enter

.kde

and press Enter to get into it.

vimtutor is part of the vim-common rpm...to see if it's installed;

rpm -q vim-common (on the cd's)

to install (as root)

urpmi vim-common

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/idpl/32412...a/324121/stat/6

copy and paste? more likely a opera issue. After you highlight the text, are you middle or thumb clicking where you want to paste?

bash and konsole IS how you are doing it when you use vim :wink:

To take the Vim tutorial, get into Vim and run the :h tutor command. Go through the tutorial and follow the instructions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I must sound really thick,

could you explain this again as I am confusing bash/konsole/vi and the various prompts.

The terminal that I use is Konsole?

The prompt messages are from Bash?

And the screen with a ~ at the start of each line is the vi editor?

Presuming that's correct, then do I need to actually type the # or $ symbols in?

And how do I start the vi editor to try the :h tutorial mentioned by aru? - because it does nothing when I try starting it with a "run command".

regards

John

Sorry, I must sound really thick,
Don't worry, feel free to ask, we are here to help
could you explain this again as I am confusing bash/konsole/vi and the various prompts.

The terminal that I use is Konsole?

probably if you run KDE

The prompt messages are from Bash?

Yes

And the screen with a ~ at the start of each line is the vi editor?

Yes

Presuming that's correct, then do I need to actually type the # or $ symbols in?

No, the those symbols represent the bash prompt, "#" means a root shell waiting for root to type commands. "$" means a normal user shell session waiting for a non root user to type something. So "$ something" means that you have to type the "something" string while you are using the Konsole as normal user.

And how do I start the vi editor to try the :h tutorial mentioned by aru? - because it does nothing when I try starting it with a "run command".

regards

John

No it was no ":h tutorial", was "run vimtutor"

Open a Konsole session, type:

~$ vimtutor

That will run an interactive teaching-vim session. There you'll learn how to do the basics in vim.

In the following link you have a symple introduction to the most common commands in vi:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/ref/x1938.html

HTH

Well,

I tried the vimtutor and got the vi editor with an error message of unable to run /usr/??????????(cant recall what that bit was)/vimtutor/tutor.vim

I also tried to sus out bvc's suggestion of putting the bit into the .kde/autostart, but it comes up with a load of unreadable code.

I feel so :oops: that I can't get my head round this vi thing - I just don't understand it - I have tried to read and comprehend the http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/ref/x1938.html link, but it doesn't seem to make much sense either - I must be really stupid!

Is there anyway I can achieve this with Kwrite, as that's the only editor that I have ever used (don't forget, I'm a relatively recent ex - wind0w$ drone and don't really understand this command line stuff!) and that was just to modify a few existing files to config an adsl modem.

regards

John

I must be really stupid!
No! it is really hard to understand vi, though the results deserve the effort, sure! ;)

Is there anyway I can achieve this with Kwrite, as that's the only editor that I have ever used (don't forget, I'm a relatively recent ex - wind0w$ drone and don't really understand this command line stuff!) and that was just to modify a few existing files to config an adsl modem.

I have no experience with Kwrite, sorry. But other text editors such as gedit and nedit will also work well.

I tried the vimtutor and got the vi editor with an error message of unable to run /usr/??????????
It's not installed.
[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf vimtutor

vim-common:/bin/vimtutor

vim-common:/usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.1/doc/vimtutor.1

vim-common:/usr/share/man/man1/vimtutor.1.bz2

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ rpm -q vim-common

vim-common-6.1-21mdk

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

Install vim-common as stated above.

Is there anyway I can achieve this with Kwrite, as that's the only editor that I have ever used
Sure...open kwrite>put;

#!/bin/bash

enable_X11_numlock &

in it>save as, /home/your_name/.kde/Autostart/numlock.sh

Then open konqueror> browse to /home/your_name/.kde/Autostart/> rt-click numlock.sh>choose properties and make it Exec.

Well,

I have followed bvc's instructions and now have a "numlock.sh" in /home/john/.kde/Autostart

that says #!/bin/bash enable_X11_numlock on and did I need to type the # ?

I am presuming that to "make it Exec" means to have the exec box checked in the "permissions"? if not, how do I make it "Exec"?

Or should I have done this as root? as when I log in the welcome screen comes up with my account and the "numlock" light on the keyboard still doesn't come on!

And as for the vi editor bit, I am sure that I got it installed, well, I got it off my disc's (boxed set) though the only bit it said it was unable to install was "vim_X11" so presumably that is the bit that won't start the vimtutor?

regards

John

make sure the

#!/bin/bash

enable_X11_numlock &

is on 2 lines exactly as seen here and yes, with the # in front of !/bin/bash.

I am presuming that to "make it Exec" means to have the exec box checked in the "permissions"? if not, how do I make it "Exec"?
Yes....if konq allows you to change this as user then you should be ok. If not, open a terminal>su to root>and run

chmod a+x /home/john/.kde/Autostart/numlock.sh

the only bit it said it was unable to install was "vim_X11"so presumably that is the bit that won't start the vimtutor?
No, that's a gtk version of vim with a toolbar and menus. It also has a Help buttom to the manual and HOWTO links.

Open a terminal and run

vimtutor

Browse to /bin, ...is there a vimtutor in there?

This is what I get when I put in the same commands as the ones that you posted earlier bvc

[john@localhost john]$ urpmf vimtutor

vim-common:/bin/vimtutor

vim-common:/usr/share/doc/vim-common-6.1/doc/vimtutor.1

vim-common:/usr/bin/vimtutor

[john@localhost john]$ rpm -q vim-common

vim-common-6.1-34.1mdk

[john@localhost john]$

When I do the $vimtutor I get

Error detected while processing command line:

Can't open file /usr/share/vim/tutor/tutor.vim

Hit ENTER or type command to continue

and if I hit enter I get

~ VIM - Vi IMproved

~

~ version 6.1.302

~ by Bram Moolenaar et al.

~ Vim is open source and freely distributable

~

~ Help poor children in Uganda!

~ type :help iccf<Enter> for information

~

~ type :q<Enter> to exit

~ type :help<Enter> or <F1> for on-line help

~ type :help version6<Enter> for version info

~

~ Running in Vi compatible mode

~ type :set nocp<Enter> for Vim defaults

~ type :help cp-default<Enter> for info on this

~

~

~

that. Is this the vimtutor? (it doesn't look like any tutor that I have ever experienced - but I only know gui stuff!)

As for the numlock thing, I have made sure that the ~/.kde/Autostart/numlock.sh is exactly as you have posted and it doesn't seem to make any difference, i.e. when I want to log in, I still don't get the light indication that the numlock key is enabled. I also did the chmod a+x etc etc bit and that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Should I have disabled it in the kde control panel ?

regards

John

Also, just to check, I went to the kde control centre and checked "the leave unchanged radio button" applied that and did a reboot (probably unnecessary) and spotted the "stopping numlock" during the shut down/reboot dialogue, but I couldn't see any "starting numlock" during the start up dialogue and still have to "hit the button" for log in (I would show you, but I don't know how to copy/paste the start up dialogue!), is this of any relevance?

regards

John

Do you get this?

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ ls -a .kde/Autostart

./  ../  autostart.sh*  .directory

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ ls -l .kde/Autostart/autostart.sh

-rwxr-xr-x    1 bvc      bvc           542 Feb  1 11:01 .kde/Autostart/autostart.sh*

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ file .kde/Autostart/autostart.sh

.kde/Autostart/autostart.sh: Bourne shell script text executable

and yes...in the kcontrol center>Peripherals>keyboard you want "leave unchanged".

I don't see a kernel parameter to pass through lilo in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Do you have a numlock file in

/etc/rc.d/init.d

and a kxxnumlock (k and x could be anything) in

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d

/etc/rc.d/rc1.d

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d

/etc/rc.d/rc4.d

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d

/etc/rc.d/rc6.d

and a numlock.sh in /etc/profile.d

?

are these in their proper places?